D-3 FAB Metal review by Danelectro

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Danelectro: D-3 FAB Metal

Purchased from: Amazon

I use this with a Dunlop CryBaby through a Fender FM212 on the clean channel. It makes my Ibanez sound great at high gain settings and with a bit of tweaking on the amp's EQ I can get a nice sound, but having said that, I like my guitar trebly so it cuts through the mix, and a lack of treble is not a problem this pedal has. For my needs personally, this pedal covers all of the basics I need, and I can fine tune it using other pedals.

With this pedal, I literally only play metal. It's got too much gain for anything else, and I don't like how it sounds on lower settings. I've owned it for 10 months now and it's still alright on the mains power supply. If it was stolen, I'm not sure whether I'd try something new, or just go for this again, I love and hate the simplicity of this pedal. An individual control for hi's mid's and low's would be nice. But for the price, I am definitely not complaining. If anybody wants to dabble in the metal world, or somebody new to guitar wants a decent high gain pedal, then I'd recommend this.

I would NEVER use this on battery power alone. The pedal emits a horrible sound when used with a battery, so I have it permanently set up on a plug. The case is strong plastic with a metal base, I'm considering moving this pedal to different housing as I don't actually like the pedal mechanism very much, and the case feels cheap and lightweight. If I was gigging, I'd take about 3 of these with me, just encase, and due to the price it wouldn't cost too much...

The simplicity of this pedal is it's greatest asset and it's biggest downfall. The tone knob works as an equalizer more than anything, and the gain and level do as you'd want them to. It's a good pedal to have a mess around on, you can get some really satisfying sounds. The manual just said about what each knob controlled and how to replace the battery.

SketchMan3
    In my experience, this pedal sounds best through a cheap little practice amp.
    Insanity ninja
    As a follow up... Mine did break. I thought I'd replace it with another one, but there was a metal muff going cheap on Ebay. Having said that... I'm still not sure that the FAB metal wasn't better sounding.