D-4 FAB Echo review by Danelectro

Danelectro: D-4 FAB Echo

Purchased from: Guitar Source

I am using possibly the cheapest setup ever. I have an Ibanez GRX20 guitar with a 15-watt Roland Cube 15. The guitar is great for the price and gets an overall good sound when used with pedals. Is it noisy? No way! I have yet to find a setting where this pedal adds any buzz, hiss, or static of any sort. The effect sound great, however the length of echo (mix to the left) does not make an extemely noticeable change until it is in the middle. Do I get sounds of my favorite artists? Sure, but mostly artists I don't like but play anyways. So far I've been able to scrape up some Satriani, Modest Mouse, Green Day, etc. Green Day and Satriani were slow songs and Modest Mouse, a fast one, making it very flexible.

When using this particular pedal I stick to slow, melodic solos. Take "Always With You, Always With Me" or "Down, Down, Down" by Joe Satriani as perfect examples. I use it for much more Satriani and anything that needs a little (or a lot) of echo. I've been playing for a year now and guitar is my life. I can't think of anything I would ask before buying it except maybe if they had another one for my friend. They're so cheap! If it was stolen/lost of course I'd buy another one. Although, at it's cheap price I doubt anyone would steal it, it's bright Orange so I doubt I'd lose it, and if I did, I'm sure I could find a way to get $15. I love how easy it is to figure out and use. It doesn't create any excess noise that isn't pleasant, and is simple to turn on and off. I have compared this to the echo that came with my friend's amp. He has a great amp that came with about 9 effects and the echo is probably the sketchiest effect on his amp. I also compared it to another similer echo pedal by Boss and realized that $30 more was not worth it for a harder case. One thing I wish it had, is a better name than FAB? That's about it, the Danelectro 9V power source can be bought for $8.99. You can also buy a cheaper power, universal power source for $6 or one that can power up to 5 pedals and takes only one outlet for $24.99.

Depend on it? Why not. Nothing has led me to believe otherwise. I've owned it for a bit now and nothing has gone wrong. Everything works perfectly but the button to turn it off and on is pretty sketchy and seems it could get stuck if dropped. Also, it's plastic so I probably wouldn't use it on a gig without a backup, but it's $14.99, just buy a backup!

Amazing simple to get a good sound. Simple name, simple effect, but it does it's job perfectly for $14.99. There is a manual that explains how to use the settings and the ONLY thing that would throw you off is which way to turn the knobs to get the desired effect. With the FAB Echo sticker rightside up to you turn the "repeat" left to get more Echoes; turn the "mix" to the left to get a longer echo.