D-4 FAB Echo review by Danelectro

Danelectro: D-4 FAB Echo

Purchased from: ebay.co.uk

My setup is as follows: Epiphone G-400 -> Behringer VP1 Phaser -> Danelectro Fab Echo -> Behringer HB01 Wah -> Nevada S-15G amp There is a slight hum, but this ionly gets in the way when the gain on my amp is full and the boost is on, and for the songs I use echo on, I do not use that much distortion. The effect is pretty much always good and is quite versatile - if played throught a clean amp with no bass, a tad of m, I'd an treble, with the mix at half way and the echo on slapback, I can get a cool surf guitar sound, kind-of like dick dale. I prefer to use the pedal with the echo set to max, and the mix set to just before max, this gets a very cool sound, which I use to play chords for the rhtym guitar track, whilst I solo over the top. I also like to use it on this setting with my Behringer VP1 Phaser on, also using my slide, whilst concurrently gently rocking my wah back and forth, this gives an incredibly cool and psychedlic sound, which is good for the middle eight of a song I have written - it sounds very spaced out and very proggy. Before buying this you should realise it is an echo, not a delay pedal, if you are looking for a delay, look elsewhere, but if you want an echo pedal that can be used as reverb, then go for this, only 15.

I mainly play bluesy/heavy/proggy/jazzy/hard/alternative (sonic youth) rock, and I like to experiment with effects, This is a perfect match as it is incredibly easy to use, and is very cheap, I had 20 and was considering buying an echo pedal, and here we are. I always wanted a surf-guitar tone for a song, so here we are. I would definately buy it again as I love it, and I am not on a big budget, so this is the perfect price. One of my favourite features is the blue on/off Status LED, it is so bright that it lights up my entire pedal board when it is on, it looks very cool. However, although I am not sure how bad this pedal is with batteries, I would advise buying a power supply, it'll make your life a lot easier. This isn't really a bad thing as I would advise doing this with all pedals, as batteries can get to be very expensive.

I can definately depend on this pedal, despite being made of plastic, it is very strong and can withstand quite a lot, but you should still be careful with it, I would definately use it at a gig without a backup, as I don't use it very often, and I don't need to worry about batteries, because I power all of my pedals off of a power supply from Maplin and a daisychain link.

This pedal is very easy to use, it has two controls - mix, which determines the sound from the pedal (just echo sound or both echo and original), and echo, which sets the amount of Echoes, from a single echo (slapback) to many more. The manual that came with it explains the above, but it really isn't needed, as it is so simple.

frankthewolfman
    you can reduce the amount of echoes so it doesn't have to end up being a mess - that is what the 'echo' dial is for
    thev90
    it's an okay echo, i use the echos rarely, but i do like to turn down repeats and use it as more of a reverb type pedal.