D-4 FAB Echo review by Danelectro

Danelectro: D-4 FAB Echo

Price paid: € 10

Purchased from: private seller

I use mainly Fender Jazzmaster and Jaguar guitars on an old '64 Fender Tremolux Amp into a 2x12 Fender cabinet as I play mainly Surf Instro music, but it goes well with Fuzz, OD and Distorion pedals as well. The Echo effect is more limited on the Fab Echo then on more expensive units. The Fab Echo reminds me a bit of the older 70's German build Echo units that used these bucket type memory instead of actual tape heads. So a less warm analogue sound. The Fab Echo seams to have a little less output then most other effects I use(d), most likely due to the absence of a level knob. But coupled with my Fender Reverb unit, it's hardly noticeable. I run the Fab Echo with a 9 Volt Ibanez adapter or a 1 Spot, as I don't like using 9V batteries for various reasons. In both cases, the Fab Echo produces no noticeable hum on my setup.

Since I don't use Echo as my main effect but use it together with reverb and tremolo, Fuzz and or OD/Distortion, this unit serves me well. I used to have it's bigger brother, the DanEcho, which has a lot more going on then this little on, but nevertheless, the Fab Echo serves it's purpose rather excellent imho. Of course one gets what he/she pays for in this case. You can't expect super lush echo in al it's aspects for this price. If you are after that, look elsewhere. If you like me like to boast your sound with some echo, then the Fab Echo is quiet alright. Esp. since it so cheap.

I've been using Danelectro pedals for about a decade now and never had any problems with them. Both in studio or live environments. So, I doubt to run into problems with this one. Of course, the Danelectro Fab units do not have the weight of your average Boss pedal, therefor it is advisable to put them on a pedal board with velcro as otherwise they have the tendency not to stay in place when used a lot. Also the on/off switches never caused me trouble in the past. So far I only had to replace 1 of these micro stomp switches on a old mid 90's Fuzz pedal.

The Fab Echo is a pretty straightforward effect, just two knobs. Mix; to mix the "dry" (sound from your guitar) and "echo" sound from the Fab Echo. Second knob is the "Repeat", this allows you to set the amount of echo repeats. I found the knobs a bit quirky to set at a good setting, but once this is achieved I got great sounds from this unit. So, you best take your time. Also the unit seams to sound a bit better when placed in line with a pedal or effect that has more output to boost it a bit. Manual is typical for Danelectro, a fold out which explains about every Fab pedal of their catalogue. Usable imho.

sg4ever
    There's a mod to add a speed knob, so you can make it a conventional delay pedal. Recommended.