D-5 FAB Chorus Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 03/08/2006 category: Guitar Effects
Danelectro: D-5 FAB Chorus
The sound of the '80s. From subtle to seasick. Icy clouds of shimmer. Slow and deep or fast and narrow, it doesn't matter it will find your tonal sweet spot.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.8
 Ease of Use: 8.1
 7.6
 7.2
 6,200
reviews (8) pictures (3) 37 comments vote for this gear:
D-5 FAB Chorus Reviewed by: walkingonspikes, on march 08, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is really easy to get the right sound for me. There's a little pamphlet, rather than a manual, but you don't need it. Just take it out of the box and adjust the settings to your satisfaction. // 9

Sound: I'm using this pedal with an ESP Viper 50, Boss Metal Zone, Danelectro Fab Echo, Morley Classic Wah and a Line 6 Spider II 212 combo amp. The Fab Chorus isn't noisy and it always sounds great even though it's a $15 chorus pedal. I can get sounds ranging from Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit to Metallica's Sanitarium. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd totally use this on a gig without a backup because so far, nothing bad has happened while playing with this pedal. It has been a totally awesome pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly death/black metal, some blues, some Grunge and some general metal and this pedal works great with anything. I've been playing for about 2 years and if this pedal was lost or stolen, I'd totally buy it again. // 9

D-5 FAB Chorus Reviewed by: ds2obsessor, on april 10, 2006

Purchased from: Innovations Music

Ease of Use: This pedal has only 3 knobs: mix, speed, and depth. 1 input, 1 output. This is by far the easiest pedal I have ever used, I didnt read the manual until afterwards, just adjust mix to the same volume as your amp/distortion pedal, and then speed and depth at whatever fits you. Should only take 2 minutes, maybe 3 if you are putting a 9V battery in it first. // 10

Sound: I'm using this with a Ibanez RG370DX, a Boss DS-2, a DigiTech Synth Wah, and a crappy 15 watt amp. It sounds amazing. My cleans used to suck, this fixed that right up. With distortion and chorus, you can get a cool metal sound, great for solos/shred. With a neck humbucker you can get a cool slow-synth sound, I dont even use my Synth Wah anymore this totally replaced it! I really only play my own stuff, so the only song I know that has chorus in it really is Smells Like Teen Spirit and Come As You Are, but it can play much more then that. Shred, metal, cleans, slow synth interludes and solos all sound pumped up with this pedal! Go from crap cleans to full lush ones, and you can get the underwater effect from Come As You Are - Nirvana. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's made of hard, fairly thick plastic, not as durable as a Boss, but still haven't broken it yet. The only way it would break is if I intentionally broke it/smashed my guitar on top of it. If you stand on it by accident it wont break, but the on/off button might get mashed in. It only cost 30$ and 20$ at certain stores. I only had 40 dollars with me when I bought it, so I didnt buy an adapter just a 9V, and its been running on the same battery for 3 weeks and I use it every day. It has an extremely powerful LED that lights up my whole room when turned on and the battery isnt even starting to die at all yet! // 8

Overall Impression: This pedal is a natural for any style of music. If you think your tone is already good as it will ever be, buy this pedal anyway, it can make anything sound even better. The only bad thing about this is the plastic casing, which is still very durable, I just think that itd be even better if it were metal. The price is affordable for anyone, even homeless gentlemen like my self. If it were lost or if a 380 pound person stood on it, I would buy it again the very same day, seeing as how I use it Everyday. Buy this pedal, its an amazing addition to any rig, no need for a $100+ Boss pedal when this will do just as good. // 9

D-5 FAB Chorus Reviewed by: AdamDK, on august 25, 2006

Purchased from: Live N' Loud (Local Store)

Ease of Use: This pedal has three knobs: depth, speed and mix. Just adjust these to your satisfaction, and you have your ideal settings, simple. You get a manual with it, but it is not important, it just states the batteries it takes, the adaptor needed, and what the knobs do. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Blaze Stratocaster guitar, and a Kustom KGA10FX amp, with a Fab Overdrive connected to this pedal, and I love the outcome. I thought my amp had good clean, but this thing shows Who's Boss. I got an amazing sound for my leads when I used this with my Fab Overdrive pedal. The thing I hate about this pedal though is when you turn the knobs to max (all three), you get an Flanger kind of sound, which can be very annoying if somebody turns the knobs when I'm out, then I get back Switch it on and have a flanger! All in all, the sound is good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is made of strong plastic, and is very hard, and has never broken down on me. I run it with a 9V adaptor, and it it is fine. I have used a battery with it, and it doesn't die fast. If you stomp pretty hard, it won't break, and if you drop it by accident, it should stay in one piece. I probably would gig with this without a back up as it is so reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard rock/punk rock, and some blues, and this pedla is a great match. This pedal pretty much works for any style, and gives any clean an even better sound. I compared this to a Boss Chorus pedal, and this matched up to the Boss pedal, and showed you don't need to spend a lot of money for a good pedal. If I lost this pedal or had it stolen, I'd be straight down my store to buy another one. I'm loving this pedal, and I'm proud to have it in my rig. I reccomend this pedal to any kind of player, it simply is amazing. // 9

D-5 FAB Chorus Reviewed by: XAkitAX, on november 22, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: You just pull this sucker right out of the box and set it to your liking. It comes with a little pamphlet thingy which you don't need. It has 3 knobs: mix/speed/depth. 1 input, 1 output and an input for a power adapter. Very easy to get that thick chorus sound you've been wanting. // 10

Sound: I use it through my Les Paul Special II, sometimes through my Dunlop Original Crybaby, and into my Fender Frontman 15G. Perfectly clean sound, no noise at all. You can get soem very nice effects. They can get really thick too. I can get so many sounds I've been wanting, Nirvana, Rush, and so many more. // 10

Reliability & Durability: When I bought it I thought it would be weak since it's a hard plastic, but when I got it I thought it was metal. The only thing I don't like, which is common among all pedals, is that there is no adapter with it. So I'm looking into getting an adapter for it before I rely on it for a gig. // 9

Overall Impression: This pedal is great for every type of music. My friend was impressed when I got this he ended up buying one himself. I would definitely buy this pedal if it got smashed or stolen. I love how it looks, sounds, feels, ok, I just love everything about it. I would most deff. recommend this pedal over those expensive Boss pedals and all those other famous ones. I can't believe the tone I got outa this baby. I was a bit skeptical at first, then I heard the sound samples from musicians friend, and I was impressed. So I gave Danelectro a try, thinking my pedal would break since I heard it's plastic. I've had it for 3 months now, and it's held up fine. Get this pedal, you will not regret it I'm 100% sure. // 10

D-5 FAB Chorus Reviewed by: Mental Hop, on march 23, 2007

Ease of Use: Easy of use? I tried this pedal at my local music shop. I tried this pedal along with the Danelectro Cool Cat. It's only three knobs that aren't too difficult to understand. I've never run into a single effects pedal that I couldn't figure out within seconds. // 5

Sound: Brand new battery in it and I used a MIM Fender strat with a rosewood neck plugged into a Fender Princeton. I wasn't able to get any kind of chorus-like sound out of the pedal unless the knobs were at least halfway tuned in. I turned the knobs to the max and got a nice warbly sound but other than that I could get much else out of the pedal. It didn't sound too solid really. I was a little disappointed with it. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It seems like, if you found some use out of it, it would hold up pretty well. It's plastic yes but it's hard plastic and the knobs don't have the same problem like with the Dano Mini's. I think it would last you awhile and if I liked the sound then I would use it without a backup. // 7

Overall Impression: I play various styles of music from blues to rock & roll to country and everything in between. I've been playing for seven and a half years. I own the Danelectro Daddy-O and I picked up the Cool Cat pedal after trying this pedal out. I didn't buy it in the first place, and I wouldn't get a replacement if I had been foolish enough to buy before trying. What I like is that even if you get it offline, it's only $15 and it's not a loss if you don't like it. I much rather prefer the Cool Cat because it sounds truly amazing. Unfortunetly the Fab doesn't sound half as good as the Cool Cat. I would have definitely bought this if I didn't have the tune the knobs halfway before noticing a difference just on the fact that it's so inexpensive. I also tried the Fab Overdrive and noticed the same problem with little or no difference in tone before the knobs were sitting at high noon. I hope they're not all like this. // 5

D-5 FAB Chorus Reviewed by: gravensuicide, on july 16, 2007

Purchased from: gift from my bands drummer

Ease of Use: This pedal is okay. I'm not a big fan, my bands drummer got it for me on my birthday. it's okay for the purpose I use it for. There are 3 knobs it, a Mix, Speed, and Depth. It has one Switch, and the Switch is kind of small aswell. The whole pedal is pretty small at that. The knobs seem a bit loose, when I pack this away to take it to a show, usually when I take it out, they are all moved around from being rubbed against or something. That gets a little annoying, but hey it happens. // 8

Sound: The sound is okay, when I was first using it, I set the speed as slow as possible, and it sounds like the game Super Mario when he jumps. Then if the speed is all the way, it's like it's not even on. This chorus sounds great with the breakdown part of Master of Puppets. I also use my amps reverb in that aswell, but you can still hear the chorus. it's a decent chorus I would say. It was my first, I haven't tried any others, but I've heard others, and they sound better then this one. But for the price(that my drummer said he bought it at) it would work if your low on cash. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Well, I've had it since Febuary and it's still together, even though it's made of plastic. Usually plastic pedals get beat up pretty quick. It typical Danelectro shape(I used to have a Danelectro distortion pedal). I use this at gigs, but it has my amps reverb, my Boss MT2 and my Washburn wah pedal to help it out. With my bands songs, it works well, but if your using it to play a cover, it's not so great. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall this pedal is okay for the price. I think it could be way better. I've been using it for about 6 months, and it still sounds the same as it did the first day I got it. I haven't had any technical problems with it yet. There's really not to much to say, it's a simple pedal. there's really not too much to say about it, sorry. // 7

D-5 FAB Chorus Reviewed by: jeffo46, on may 13, 2008

Purchased from: GC(The Evil Empire)

Ease of Use: I had just bought this pedal last Friday at GC, and for the buck, It's definately worth the coin.This pedal has 3 controls; Mix, Speed, and Depth.It comes in a bright Blue plastic casing which is tougher than what it seems to be.The manual? Toss it out, you won't need it.If you can't figure out how to use this then you shouldn't be playing. // 9

Sound: I use a 2006 Fender MIM Sunburst Standard Strat and a 1997 USA made, Crate GX-65 combo.This pedal sounds great with my set up and is absolutely no problem at all.The sound on this is very impressive for a $15.00 pedal.Danelectro really seem to care about their customers and always put out top notch pedals at a great price. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I used it this past Saturday night at a gig and it sounded just fine.The guys in the band couldnot believe the sound that was coming out of this pedal.They were even more shocked when I told them that I only paid $15.00 for it.I can definately use this at a gig and not have to worry about it. // 9

Overall Impression: I have over 35 years experience and these Fab Pedals are a really great bargain for those of us on a low budget.I would definately replace this if anything ever happened to it.I can not find any faults with this pedal at all, I absolutely love it.Danelectro rules! // 9

D-5 FAB Chorus Reviewed by: boss45, on january 05, 2012

Purchased from: guitar center

Ease of Use: I found this to be somewhat easy to use, but limiting. In order to notice the effect, the knobs have to be turned to at least 12 o'clock. Also, the foot switch is a little low lying, making it harder to press near the back of a pedal board. // 4

Sound: I am using an Epiphone Les Paul Standard through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III on a clean setting. It is on my pedal board along with three other pedals. It's not too noisy but just adds a touch of fuzz pretty much all the time. // 5

Reliability & Durability: The power jack on this is awful. The plug thing slips around like crazy in it, and it turns off every once in a while because it has slipped out. And when it does slip out, it makes an awful screeching noise. I would not use this at a gig. // 4

Overall Impression: I have been playing pretty much all types of rock for two years. I got this on a whim, seeing the price and thinking it might be fun to mess around with. I definitely would not replace it if it would stolen, but do not regret the purchase. The bottom line is, for $15, it's pretty cool. // 5

Comments