D-6 FAB Flange Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 04/19/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Danelectro: D-6 FAB Flange
The Star Spangled Banner never sounded so good! Cheap, legal, and fun that's combined for the very first time! Totally tubular tone. Surf the swoosh.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.8
 2,592
reviews (5) 10 comments vote for this gear:
D-6 FAB Flange Reviewed by: jeffo46, on april 19, 2008

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal last week at Daddy's Junky Music, here in Warwick, R.I. for the measley sum of $14.99. Forget about the manual, you don't need it. This pedal isn't exactly rocket science to operate. It only took me about 5 minutes of figiting with it to get a great sound. I am very pleased with this lil' monster. // 9

Sound: I am using a 2006 MIM Fender Sunburst Strat and a 1997 American made, Crate GX-65 combo with this pedal, and I must say, this is the 1st pedal that actually sounds good through this amp. I was using a DigiTech RP50 before, but it wouldn't sound good through this amp, so I sold it, and decided to just get this and next, a Fab Chorus. That's all I need. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I realize that this is made of plastic, but I'm also a firm believer in taking care of your equipment, so I don't see why this shouldn't last me for a few years or so. If not, I can always go and get another one. I could and have used this on a gig without backup, and let me say one thing. If you are going to get one of these, make sure that you buy the Danelectro adaptor, because this thing eats batteries alive. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for over 35 years and I play mostly classic rock with some blues on the side. Why Danelectro didn't come out with these earlier, I don't know, but I'm glad they did. For those of us on a low budget, these are great pedals. I intend to get the Chorus one next, and then I'm going to see about getting the Fish & Chips compressor, then that'll be it. // 9

D-6 FAB Flange Reviewed by: boardsofcanada, on april 24, 2006

Ease of Use: All very straight forward, virtually no 'instruction' more of a pamphlet, but it isn't needed. Plug in, tweak and go. // 9

Sound: The sound doesn't seem to have a nice sine curve at all. It seems to be stuck in 'up' and then at regular times, swoop down and then straight back up again, no spacey gradual roundness, just up, down-up. I can't really get too many great usable sounds out of it other than sheer experimentations, it's difficult to get the sound of someone else (they probably arent using a 15 buck flange though). Seems to like flanging my Hiss rather than my guitar. Not a noisy pedal though, which is an unexpected plus at 15 bucks. 6 because it is damned hard to mimic another sound with it, but still a fun cheap toy. You get what you pay for in this case. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Plastic housing is decent, if I were to gig with it it wouldn't be an issue because I wouldn't be stomping the crap out of it, but it would be vulnerable to drops. I wouldn't bother with a backup. But I would bring a different flange. Battery anomaly, if you tighten the bottom too tight it wont turn on, but just ease up on the thumbscrew a bit and then no problems. Sucks battery. Went through 2 full 9 volts in a few days before I figured it out. Unplug the Input always when not in use. 8 because it sucks the life out of batteries very fast, and there are probably other quirks that could come up unexpectedly if one were to gig with it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly some sort of alt rock, but this is more suited for sounds. It sounds like no other flanger, good thing and a bad thing. I should've tried it more extensively, but hey, for 15 bucks it gets you a sound close enough to some things to use. If it were stolen/lost I would be annoyed but not that long as I plan to buy a different one when I can, this is a cheap substitute till then. Some cool things about it is if you max the Regen it has a weird Zipping sound to it, and with other effeccts you can shape that into something fun. But as stated before, for experimentation. My biggest complaint is the non-smooth sweep it has. That's probably the single biggest reason it is hard to mimic other sounds, it's almost transparent until it drasticly super-sweeps. 7, many complaints, but it is pretty solid and a fun noisemaker for 15 bucks. // 7

D-6 FAB Flange Reviewed by: unleash, on june 02, 2006

Purchased from: Movies and Music

Ease of Use: I personally can't see a pedal getting much easier to use in ragards to the controls. Only three control nobs, so its not complicated. // 10

Sound: I am using a very cheap beginner Typhoon guitar, and a Custom 16 watt amp. Pretty cheap equipment, I had it since I started (planning on upgrading this summer) with a Fab Chorus and metal. This pedal overall wasn't that noisy. Anthou when the regen control is turned out to the max it do give a lot of feedback caused by the "swooshing" sound that this pedal makes when the buttons are maxed. I found that quite annoying. But I found the sounds were neat. It's a great pedal when playing for fun. It's a good, and the sound is pretty good. The only thing I hated about this pedal was that somtimes it took a while to get a sensible non swooshing sound from it. But it was a good buy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far I can totally depend on this pedal, it looks and feels great with regards to it durability. Although I wouldn't go crazy and stamp on it everytime I want to turn it on while playing. I would take this to a gig and probably use this one for backup. If I was interested in playing in from of crowds and making money I would probably buy and more expensive pedal than this one. But saying that this pedal sounds pretty darn good. // 7

Overall Impression: I like to play music that consists of alot of chorus effect. So the flange was a good choice for the type of music I like to play. I also use a Danelectro Fab Metal pedal regularly and it sounds great with that pedal also. If this pedal were stolen I would defiantly buy it again. I love the "tube" sound this thing gives off. But I don't like the heavy swooshing sound that it give off when the pedal is maxed. I don't see the point of suck a sound on the guitar. // 8

D-6 FAB Flange Reviewed by: self-made_page, on september 05, 2006

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, three knobs "regen", "speed", and "depth". I bought it mainly because I don't like the flanger on my Vox AD50VT. The manual is superfluous and you might as well just throw it out. If you have an IQ higher than gravel you'll be able to figure it out on your own. // 8

Sound: I'm using this with my Saga kit Strat (with Fender Tex-Mex pickups) for the most part. It's doesn't give too much hissing, which is good for a $15 pedal. The biggest beef I have with this pedal is that it only sounds good if one or more of the knobs is maxed out. It's hard to get a good mild flange going. When all three knobs are maxed out it sounds like a tremolo + flange. It has a very experimental/psychedelic sound to it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It seems sturdy enough for a plastic-cased pedal, but I wouldn't jump around on it. In the unlikely even that I would use it for a gig I wouldn't worry about having a backup because I don't destroy my pedals. The Switch doesn't click, which caught me off-guard. There is an LED, so it's not impossible to tell when the effect is on. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a lot of progressive rock and the flanger is an important effect for the genre. Unfortunately this flanger is not completely up to snuff in terms of versatility. If you want a gentle flange sweeping in the background while you're wailing on a solo, this is not the pedal for you. Buy this pedal only if you like experimental-sounding effects. // 7

D-6 FAB Flange Reviewed by: 0GibsonLesPaul0, on july 01, 2010

Purchased from: Local Shop

Ease of Use: It's a pretty easy product to use. A regain, speed, and depth knob is it. It came with a manual, but I'm one of those people who think they can do it mostly by themselves and most of the time can get it right. The only thing that I don't like is that the button that you stomp or press overtime gets somewhat sticky and it might take a couple touches to get it on/off. // 9

Sound: I use this with my Peavey Raptor EXP or my Gibson Les Paul 100. And for an amp I use my little Peavey Backstage 11x11 practice amp. You can pretty easily get a lot regain and that gets a good amount of noise. Basically keep it around 12 o'clock for all of them [the knobs] and you should get a great sound out of it. You can get the sound of Rush pretty easily. It gets the nice glow of a twelve string... if you have the right settings. It can also get almost like a tremolo (like most flangers) with the speed all of the way up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It has lasted me for about a year now with pretty constant use. I don't really stomp on it with the full force of my leg though. I just recently made myself a good pedalboard, and before I had just been stuffing it in the back of my amp. That probably wasn't the best idea. But nonetheless, it lasted me this long, pretty good for a plastic pedal. Not even a crack. But it does get smear marks like crazy. // 9

Overall Impression: I really wish that it had a different design. Not so rounded with a metal button that you stomp. Also, the knobs could be at the top so you didn't have to strain your neck to see the settings. And if they kept the knobs, make the little dashes white instead of red. Another thing with the design is that the input/output jacks could maybe go on the side instead of the back. I mainly chose this one because at the time I had hardly any money, I needed some effects, and this was at the check out counter and I figured that twenty bucks wouldn't hurt. And go figure. It surprised me a lot. It was a pretty decent buy. If it were stolen/lost I might buy it again if I were on a budget but if not, I would probably buy a Behringer because they are designed better. But overall, if you're on a budget, get this. // 9

Comments