DD-1 FAB Tone review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DD-1 FAB Tone

Purchased from: Ebay

My setup is My guitar (Ibanez Road Star, or Gibson Flying V) -> VHT Valulator I -> Fab Tone -> Cry Baby -> Amp (Behringer AC112). The Fab Tone is definitely a Metal/Hard Rock maybe Grunge pedal. It doesn't have a gigantic range in amount of distortion, in fact the Fab knob doesn't seem to do much other than make the effect noisy, most of the time I have the Fab rolled almost to zero. The two tone knobs give you a lot of variety though, I can get a good Metallica sound, and most other metal or hard rock bands. The pedal is a little bit noisy when your not playing though, some may want to use a noise gate, it's not enough to bother me though.

This is a very good pedal at a good price, I've played much more expensive pedals and this one can stand up to them. I used to play through a Fuzz Face quite often but I haven't bothered since I got the Fab. If your looking for metal or hard rock, give this pedal a try, I haven't been able to test it personally, but a friend of mine Who owns both says it's just as good as a Boss Metal Zone, for a better price. If you want a pedal with a range in the amount of distortion you use, look elsewhere this pedal is pretty much all or nothing. If it were lost or stolen I'd definitely get a new one. my only real problem with the pedal is I wish you could scale back the distortion a bit for other genres but for what I payed I could not be happier.

I'd say it's a pretty durable pedal, I haven't dropped it or anything yet, but it's made out of metal and hard plastic, it should be able to take quite a beating. If anything on it were to go it may be the button, it's plastic I believe, and it doesn't click like other pedals, I'm not saying it will wear out, but I think it would be the most likely part of the pedal to experience wear and tear. I'm not sure about the battery life because I run it off a power source, but I've been told by friends that they tend to last a good amount of time. I would definitely gig with the pedal in it's current condition, I couldn't see it crapping out on me.

It's a very simple pedal, two imputes (in and out) a space for your 9V battery, and a spot to plug in a DC power source. There's four knobs: Level (for the effects volume), Low and High (for frequency changing), aswell as 'Fab' ('for amount of distortion). So just plug your guitar to the In your amp to the Out, with the press of a button and a few minutes of tinkering with the knobs you can find your sound and be playing to your hearts content.

Pencil Man
    I get crazy feedback from this pedal, but his has a good 'crazy Hendrix' tone.