DE-1 Dan-Echo review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DE-1 Dan-Echo

Purchased from: Mr. C's Music

My setup is a modified 2009 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 SE -> Dunlop Crybaby Wah -> Boss DS-1 Distortion -> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone -> Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger -> Danelectro DE-1 Dan-Echo -> Boss RC-2 Loop Station -> Fender Superchamp XD. It is one of the quietest pedals in my signal chain and it is basically silent when used on its own regardless of the setting. Although it is not true bypass, when turned off I could not notice any effect on my tone. The effect is always great regardless of setting and no setting on it sounds bizarre which is really a first for the pedals I have used, this is an all around great pedal. My favorite artists are Incubus, Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, White Stripes, Pink Floyd, and with this pedal I can really capture all of their delayed sounds and fill out the songs I was previously unable to cover due to the lack of a delay pedal in my signal chain. Like I stated before, this is an all around great pedal and it works very well with all types of effects particularly wah and distortion. And when I use it for overdubs on my loop station the sound is crystal clear and provides a nice accent to what ever riff I am playing over

I play mostly alternative, classic and hard rock and this pedal suits all three of those genres. I've been playing electric guitar for four years now. If it were stolen or lost... I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I love how simple it is to use, and how any setting will get you a great sound. As well as the fact that it combines perfectly with the rest of my signal chain to give me a really great tone, it also opens up such a wide array of new sounds that you can make with a guitar. I don't hate anything about it, but I do wish that it was true bypass and that it did have a reverse delay setting.

It is one of the heaviest compact pedals I have ever seen and as far as I am concerned it is built like a tank. However I do worry that it it landed on its face that the knobs may break off after being dropped repeatedly (I'm pretty sure they are plastic). But the pedal itself is housed in thicker metal than most of the Boss products which are notoriously resilient when it comes to being dropped. I also appreciate the recessed stomp switch, which is a lot easier to activate then that of a big muff or one of the MXR pedals. I could definitely use it on a gig without a backup.

The Dan-Echo is one of the most idiot proof delay pedals out there, getting a great sound out of it is effortless as there are only four knobs and one switch: a mix knob that adjusts the wet/dry signal of the effect, a speed knob that affects the length between repeats, a repeat knob that adjusts the amount of repeats, and a hi-cut knob which regulates the amount of high-end decay on each repeat (simulating the high-end decay of a tape echo). The one switch on the pedal is used to switch from a low delay to high delays. It is incredibly easy to find a great delay sound for any genre of music and the manual explains the use of each knob and provides 14 great presets for the pedal as well as contact info in the case that something goes wrong.

JoePerry4life
    Isn't this the cheap danelectro pedals? you paid 90 bucks for it? ^90 pedals can sound good, just because it costs 300 dollars, dosen't means it sounds 3 times better than the 90 dollar pedal.
    ProgFolk12
    Most current dano pedals are damn good, and this is more expensive than those. Although I dislike really high scoring reviews, this one is quite likely more justified than most
    ProgFolk12
    Although if it is one of the really cheap dano's it can't deserve those marks...And tbh i don't know many dano pedals that cost $90...
    TaV0
    R0B0_Ninja wrote: 10/10/9/9 for 90$ pedal eh? Raise your flame shield.
    jefgat
    "I hardly think they deserve 10 out of 10..." Yep. That's why you get to write your own review.
    R0B0_Ninja
    TaV0 wrote: R0B0_Ninja wrote: 10/10/9/9 for 90$ pedal eh? Raise your flame shield. The price does not necessarilly reflects in the quality mate. I have used a couple of danelectro pedals in the past, they're quite good for the price, but yeah, I hardly think they deserve 10 out of 10.
    Sorry. I expressed my point poorly. I was predicting that the following comments would be concerning the high marks.
    57tvjr
    This is not one of the cheap plastic ones. This the real deal - simple to use - excellent sounds.