DJ-10 Grilled Cheese Distortion review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DJ-10 Grilled Cheese Distortion

For my test, I used a late 80s Harmony Super Strat style guitar with a 1969 Fender Solid State Pro Reverb. Yeah, I like odd gear. My pedal was pretty quiet. The Level knob only raises the volume, while the Resonance knob is more of a tone knob with a sweep like a Wah pedal. So, if you wanna get that half-way open Wah sound that Micheal Schenker uses, this pedal may come in handy. The Distortion seems set at max, so not alot you can do there.

I play a lot of different styles, so I see this pedal as having many uses. I dig the Dano mini effects line and have something of a collection of them. Most of my effects are Dano minis anymore. Like I've said, I collect them and they're fun to have around. I'd definitely try and replace it if it was lost or stolen. I didn't really do any comparison shopping. Really, I wasn't even looking for a pedal. I just happened to see it in Guitar Center and knew I didn't have one in my collection.

I think the Danelectro mini pedals are great for studio or home. I've never had one fail me there. While they don't have metal casings, they are pretty durable. Just don't kick the knobs as their prone to snapping off. As for in a live setting, I couldn't say for sure, but they seem like they would hold up. I'd gig with it and not have a backup.

On it's own, I wouldn't describe this pedal as sounding good. This is the kind of pedal that will Shine when used on a recording or with the right combination of other instruments. It has two knobs and there is really no need for a manual. Just sit down and tweak the knobs 'til you get the right sound.