DJ-12 Chili Dog Octave Pedal review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DJ-12 Chili Dog Octave Pedal

Purchased from: Broadway Sound of Knoxville,TN

I've got a J. B. Player Sledgehammer (much like a Squier Strat, but my opinion the sledgde sounds better than Squier) and a Crate GX15 amp. The stompbox is bad with any chords on any settings, but barre chords in drop D tuning. If you turn octave 2 and direct knobs all the way up and turn the ocatve 1 knob all the way down, you get a good metal sound almost exactly like Pantera! "I'm Broken" is a good example for a song by Pantera. This stompbox is perfect for Fast or slow paced, evil distorted sound, and is very very good for playing Intros. I was playing in school one day with it on and my teacher said it sounded like an insane asylum. To me thats good! The low octave is pretty useless to me. It gives a shaky sound if turned up too high. Kind of like rumbling thunder or something.

Pantera, Tool, Disturbed, Lamb Of God, Slipknot etc. But it's a damn good effect match, pretty good for some crazy solos too. I've been playing for a few months, but don't let that deceive you I know good sound and quality when I hear and see it. I have a few more stompboxes but this is my favorite and more used out of all. If it were stolen or lost then I would definitely get it back or buy a new one, I have written quite a few metal songs with it, so its essential to me. I love the sound and price for it, But I can't stand the pinkish purple color of it, Best feature is the easy use and sound. I wish it had a different color, but I can paint it.

I thinks its practically impossible to break unless its thrown or something like that. It's designed very good & strong for strength if you ask me. I'd take to a gig with me and use it quite a bit too. There is no problem with that.

It's a simple stompbox with 2 octave switches, Which are low octave and high ocatve. If you couldn't use this stompbox, then you need some help from a therapist! I give the use a 10 out of 10. Easy and fast access to change battery, you can unscrew the compartment with a Pick. You can by a powersource for it, but if not than it takes one 9 volt battery. I suggest a power source, because if you play as much as I do, batteries tend to get exspensive! It's not too big so it doesn't get in the way.

jimRH7
    I'm confused, does it give you "octave up" or "octave down" ? I had a boss octave pedal a while ago and it went one octave down, then two octaves down.