DJ-12 Chili Dog Octave Pedal review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DJ-12 Chili Dog Octave Pedal

Purchased from: A#1 Music Wichita, Ks

I'm currently using an old Harmony H80T Strat copy as my main guitar and an Orange Crush 15 as my main practice amp. I found the pedal to be very quiet for a pedal at this price point. The Chili Dog does what it's supposed to do, parallel octaves. I like the sound of both the Octave 2 and Octave 1 knobs all the way up, but you can still get a noticeable effect at lower settings. I use it mainly to mimic the sound Jack White uses in the song Icky Thump for his single note lines. The Chili Dog, like most lower priced octave pedals, does not do well with chords. The one odd thing I did notice was the pedal tended to not work well on sustained notes on the fifth string. Shorter notes were fine, but if I held a note for more than a few seconds, the octave 'disappeared' leaving just my un-effected note sustaining. I didn't have this issue on any of the other strings. Also, once I reached the 12th fret on the fifth string the problem 'corrected' it self.

I play Garage Rock, Surf, Rockabilly and occasionally some Stoner/Doom. It's a solid pedal for any of that. I've been playing 20+ years and have found the Dano stuff to be a good value for the money. I've had a couple octave pedals and this one is a solid replacement for the last one I had (an Arion) that died. I'd like to have an older Boss or EH POG, but for the price, this one will work for now. If it was lost or stolen I'd definitely get another since I have the Danelectro pedal board it fits in with some of the other mini effects. I like it's simplicity and the only thing I find 'bad' is the fifth string issue mentioned above. It may just be my pedal or something weird about my setup. I find it a minor issue for something I'm not gigging with though.

I bought this pedal solely for use with my practice amp. If I was gonna play a show, I'd buy a Boss or something similar. The Chili Dog may very well be fine in a gigging situation, but it's plastic case and delicate knobs make me think this one is better left in the bedroom. I might use it as a backup at a gig, but not as my main pedal. As a pedal for just jamming, it's solid.

The Danelectro Chili Dog is about as basic as an Octave pedal gets. You have 3 knobs, one for two octaves down, one for signal level and one for one octave down. There wasn't a manual included with mine as I bought it used. Once you get the signal level dialed in, labeled 'Direct', it's pretty much up to you how much you want to add the one or two octaves into the mix by using the Octave 2 and Octave 1 knobs.