DJ-14 Fish & Chips 7-Band EQ review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DJ-14 Fish & Chips 7-Band EQ

Purchased from: guitar store

I'm running two fish and chips pedals with a 74 silverface twin reverb and a compressor, and playing a Saga strat which I customized with GFS pups and locking tuners. Here's where I sorta branch off from the normal way in which an eq pedal is used. While I was experimenting with one pedal, I realized that it just as easily doubled as a very nice Overdrive, by just putting the mids to the max and having a bit of a volume boost. Then, I took the other pedal and basically put it to the same settings and ran em both together. The result was blues heaven, pure and simple. I've read all sorts of stuff about how twin reverbs are hard to naturally Overdrive without distortion effects, but it was extremely easy for me to go from a blues tone like SRV, Clapton (perfect woman tone) or BB King, to even a Rock Tone like Zeppelin, The Who, or Black Sabbath. The sound can be a creamy and subtle Overdrive to a harsh, chugging barrage. All with two eq pedals.

I play mainly Blues and Rock, and two of these pedals are pretty much all I need. I've been playing for almost 2 years now, and the tones I can get out of em are absolutely perfect for the aforementioned genres. I thought the only way to get those tones I imagined in my head was by dishing out the dough for a tube Screamer or the like, but I was extremely pleasantly surprised by these pedals. I had read all these horror stories about how difficult it was to Overdrive a twin reverb, but I encountered none of that what'soever. I highly recommend anyone Who has a twin to Pick up a couple of these pedals. The cost of two of them is less than most "high quality" pedals, and you will not believe the sounds you can get. If it was stolen I would buy a new one. Immediately.

The pedal(s) is made of plastic. However, it's still really durable. I depend on it, but one of the reasons is probably because I have no money for a backup, Overall, it's pretty dependable, but it would have been nice if it was metal. then again, the price would have probably gone up, so overall, I'd say it's very reliable for the price.

It's a standard eq pedal. No added frills or anything. Everything works like it's supposed to. It was very easy to get a nice mid boost for some blues and a nice treble bump for some twang. Not every single possible setting sounds good, but that's to be expected, obviously.