DJ-14 Fish & Chips 7-Band EQ review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DJ-14 Fish & Chips 7-Band EQ

Purchased from: Best Buy

I used this pedal with a Line 6 Spider III 75w and a Vox AC4TV at different times. The first didn't take the pedal or any pedals very well or at all. The Spider did not like this pedal. It worked fine at first, but then it started making screeching noises whenever I turned it on. It worked fine on the Vox when I tried it with it. However, I ended up selling it soon after I got the Vox because I lost interest in it and just stopped using it because I liked the in-amp tone as it was. My only electric guitar I've ever owned has been my Johnson Catalyst. This pedal was noisy on the Spider. It definitely can increase the volume if that's what you want. The farthest right dial is for volume and, if you wanted to just have a volume boost, you could just set the EQ as straight across and put the volume up. It's a pretty prevalent and strong EQ. It's not weak by any means. It really alters the tone of the amp. I mostly used it for lead playing to just make certain parts of songs stand out more. I just used it to boost the mids, and it was alright for that.

When I bought this, I was playing metal a lot, and I wanted to use this to boost my lead playing to make certain parts of songs stand out more. Eventually I started getting more and more into low-gain classic rock and once I got my Vox, I started to lose interest in this pedal and I sold it. It worked fine for leads when I used it for that. It served its purpose. I've been playing for 3 years. I liked that it did a good job of adding mids and boosting the volume. I didn't really use it for anything else. Overall, I would probably recommend a better EQ, but this pedal is great for the price range.

I could depend on this pedal when I had it. It never broke down on me and I only had to replace the batteries once. I never gigged with it and I took good care of it, so I can see no reason why it would have broken. It held up fine for when I had it.

The Danelectro Fish & Chips is a pretty easy pedal to get a good sound out of if you know how to EQ and you know what you want as far as tone. It all depends on what you really want out of it. When I had this pedal, I liked to crank the mids, back off the highs a little and keep the lows around middle. So my settings were an upside-down "v" like this: /\.