DJ-14 Fish & Chips 7-Band EQ review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DJ-14 Fish & Chips 7-Band EQ

Purchased from: Lyhric Piano & Organ Corp

This is the area that I see this pedal behind EQ's from known brands like MXR and Boss. The ease of engaging the pedal or disengaging the pedal is really bad compared to other EQ's in the market. With regard to sound, performs as advertised and I believe this EQ is true bypass which is a plus compared to a Boss GE7. This pedal gives you that signature sound by tweaking on the the frequencies until you find the tone you want, you can boost the level of your guitar to allow you to cut through the mix without any hassle of creating any unwanted noise or hum and it comes in a smaller footprint compared to its competitors, so that saves up some pedal board estate for other pedals.

It gives me a ton of options on how to fine tune my guitar tone. I use diferrent settings on the pedal that give that added punch to my sound. I place the pedal after my dirt pedals (Digitech Death Metal, Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff). I put it in the "SMILEY SETTING," for that schreeching metal tone with scooped mids, or to increase the trebleness when using the Big Muff. I also use it as a clean boost by setting it flat with the level cranked up. It also allows you to create a LO-FI like sound by cranking up the 3 middle frequencies and the high and the low at zero. I don't hear any tone loss or any noise whether the pedal is on or off.

It has been on my board for more than two years and I've never had any issues with it. It is a pedal that I seldom use so there really isn't any need to carry around a back up for this. I find this pedal important when playing live for the reason that this pedal allows you to get that tone/boost that you want even in situations where the amps on the stage sucks, etc... It is made of plastic but it won't break on you, the switch is kinda small that sometimes I step on the whole pedal just to turn it on or off, or kinda "tip toe" on its tiny switch in fear that I might screw up the settings if I am not careful, and so far that is the only flaw I see on this pedal, but definitely one of the things we consider in a pedal is its ease of use.

It fits my style of playing. I learned to play acoustic guitar when I was 14, and started playing with bands in high school. I use it with a bunch of other pedals/effects, but here is my main rig, Guitar (Epiphone G-310 or G-400 PRO) - Korg Pitchblack - Morley Power Wah - EHX Little Big Muff - DigiTech Death Metal - Boston Noise GateDanelectro Fish & Chips EQ - Mooer Pitch Box - VS Garagetone Phaser - VS Garagetone Tremolo - Boss CE5 - Ibanez DE7 - Boston M15 Amplifier. If ever this gets stolen or lost I would get the MXR 6 Band EQ because it is made of metal and has a better button. I did not try out other EQ pedals before making the purchase because I was really looking to spend too much on another EQ from Boss or MXR at that time. Overall the pedal has come up to my expectations, and with the price I paid compared to its competitors, there's nothing to complain about.