DJ-16 Bacon 'N Eggs Mini Amp/Distortion review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DJ-16 Bacon 'N Eggs Mini Amp/Distortion

I use this with a Fender Highway 1 Strat and a Marshall MG15DFX (don't laugh). I don't find this pedal noisy in a bad sense, but it is bloody loud! On it's own (mini-amp) the pedal produces a good, biting distorted tone, that can be 'cleaned up' a bit by rolling off your guitars volume a little. It is fairly loud for it's size but nowhere near a 'proper' amp. With the amp it is a lot louder, used with the clean channel on my MG it doesn't really add that much distortion but just makes it louder. I find the best thing to do is get a decent crunch sound then use the pedal to switch to your wailing solo sound. Be warned though the jump in volume is massive. This pedal gives a good sound for rock and punk but would probably be lacking in gain for metal.

I play mainly punk and rock with the odd bit o' ska. This pedal is good for that biting punk tone, and coupled with the gain from my amp can get a decent wailing guitar solo sound out of it. I have been playing about three years and own my Fender, my MG and a cable to join 'em together plus an Acoustic and Classical guitar. The thing I love about this is it means you can play electric guitar anywhere, if you just wanna jam with a mate on guitar, you don't have to lug your big amp over to his house. This pedal could however, really do with having a volume control, and a gain control, though it's simplicity is kinda cool. I like this pedal, but I don't think I would have bought it at retail price, about 30 I believe. If you can Pick one up a bit cheaper I'd recommend it though.

I haven't had it that long but it seems pretty sturdy. I don't think I would use this for a gig because I wouldn't need it, it doesn't have enough versatility. It is better just used for practising.

It is very easy to get a good sound out of this pedal as there are no knobs on it, just plug in your guitar, turn it on and play. You can use it two ways, either in conjunction with your amp as a distortion pedal or on it's own as a mini amp. There was no manual with it, but you won't need one!