DJ-16 Bacon 'N Eggs Mini Amp/Distortion Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 10/11/2005 category: Guitar Effects
Danelectro: DJ-16 Bacon 'N Eggs Mini Amp/Distortion
Plug in just the guitar and you have a very cool mini amp with a powerful speaker built into the pedal! Great tone and great power. Then plug in the cord to the amplifier and it's a great distortion box. Very cool!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Ease of Use: 9
 7.8
 8.2
 7.4
 2,007
reviews (4) 2 comments vote for this gear:
DJ-16 Bacon 'N Eggs Mini Amp/Distortion Reviewed by: GreenDayChris, on october 11, 2005

Ease of Use: It is very easy to get a good sound out of this pedal as there are no knobs on it, just plug in your guitar, turn it on and play. You can use it two ways, either in conjunction with your amp as a distortion pedal or on it's own as a mini amp. There was no manual with it, but you won't need one! // 10

Sound: I use this with a Fender Highway 1 Strat and a Marshall MG15DFX (don't laugh). I don't find this pedal noisy in a bad sense, but it is bloody loud! On it's own (mini-amp) the pedal produces a good, biting distorted tone, that can be 'cleaned up' a bit by rolling off your guitars volume a little. It is fairly loud for it's size but nowhere near a 'proper' amp. With the amp it is a lot louder, used with the clean channel on my MG it doesn't really add that much distortion but just makes it louder. I find the best thing to do is get a decent crunch sound then use the pedal to switch to your wailing solo sound. Be warned though the jump in volume is massive. This pedal gives a good sound for rock and punk but would probably be lacking in gain for metal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it that long but it seems pretty sturdy. I don't think I would use this for a gig because I wouldn't need it, it doesn't have enough versatility. It is better just used for practising. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly punk and rock with the odd bit o' ska. This pedal is good for that biting punk tone, and coupled with the gain from my amp can get a decent wailing guitar solo sound out of it. I have been playing about three years and own my Fender, my MG and a cable to join 'em together plus an Acoustic and Classical guitar. The thing I love about this is it means you can play electric guitar anywhere, if you just wanna jam with a mate on guitar, you don't have to lug your big amp over to his house. This pedal could however, really do with having a volume control, and a gain control, though it's simplicity is kinda cool. I like this pedal, but I don't think I would have bought it at retail price, about 30 I believe. If you can Pick one up a bit cheaper I'd recommend it though. // 8

DJ-16 Bacon 'N Eggs Mini Amp/Distortion Reviewed by: Abandoned67, on april 05, 2007

Purchased from: Village Music

Ease of Use: Not to much to say about features, it is a guitar effect, and has a built in speaker so it can be used alone. It has a single buttion on the front with a small speaker and one green light. On the top side there is an input and output standard jacks and also a DC 9Volt in spot. It is definitly small enough to fit into my pocket and has a reall smooth classic look to it. // 9

Sound: I don't have a certain style of playing so I play some rock, alternative, funk, soloing, country, and whatever I feel like at the time. You control it with the volume controls on your guitar when it is being used alone as a mini amp. I haven't had the chance to acctually use it as a distortion pedal, hooked up to another amp, but from what I hear it does it's job ok. It is what I would expect from a effect with a tiny speaker. It does have the possiblility to be loud but it doesnt't sound that great loud, it gets all staticy. Again I haven't used it through a larger amp, it might sound much better. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is dependable to play good if it has good batterys in it, enless you have it plugged in the wall which it works non-stop fine. It has been droped from up fairly high and steped on too, and so far it still looks and works fine. I didn't use it for a long time and when I plugged it back in it worked just fine. // 10

Overall Impression: For a small inexpensive guitar distortion with a built in speaker and the capeability to be used alone, it is worth what it cost. I'm not saying that it is the best thing I have ever bought and eveyone should go buy it, but I am saying that it is worth the money and maby a little bit more. It is fine for what I have used it for (playing with friends in random spots around town and for trips that I couldn't bring a regular amp). I would definitly buy another Danelectro product and I plan on buying some more effects from them. It could use a volume control on the acctual unit though. For it's size it is very very good, I mean the thing is tiny after all. // 9

DJ-16 Bacon 'N Eggs Mini Amp/Distortion Reviewed by: phillipssg, on september 24, 2007

Ease of Use: Ok, the features on this mini amp, are quite simply an on/off button. But what else do you expect a 15 mini amp to have? It has an input and Output Jack but to my disspointment it doesn't have a headphone jack. You can just plug your guitar into the Input jack and use it as a mini amp, or you can use both the input and output jacks to use it as a distortion pedal. // 7

Sound: To be honest I don't think that the type of guitar and the type of pickups really matter when you plug your guitar into this thing, I have a Squier Strat and an Epiphone SG G310 and they both sound exactly the same. The distortion has a nice growl to it though which I was very pleased about, it has nearly the same sounding distortion as my Fender Frontman amp, a nice deep growl! There is no 'clean' setting on it, it's a distortion pedal man! // 7

Reliability & Durability: Adapter because the whole point of having a mini/portable amp is so you can play your guitar in random places and have the amp run off batteries. Unfortunately this mini amp EATS batteries like there's no tomorrow, so a Power Adapter is a must buy if your going to purchase this mini amp. The only time I would gig with this box is to use it as a distortion pedal on top of an amp's distortion, therefore I'd have an extra boost of 'growl' if I needed it! // 8

Overall Impression: I was slightly dissapointed with this amp to be honest, but I got it fairly cheap so I got my moneys worth really. I'm also sad to say that I don't use it anymore, as I don't really have a use for it! If it were lost or stolen, I don't think I'd even notice it had gone, in fact I think I've lost it anyway! But yeah, overral it's an average mini amp, with nothing special that stands out about it. // 7

DJ-16 Bacon 'N Eggs Mini Amp/Distortion Reviewed by: l0rd0ct0d0rk, on november 29, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: The Bacon 'N Eggs is a simple pedal and mini-amp to use. Input/output, on/off switch, and a built in bypassable speaker are the 3 main features of the Bacon 'N Eggs. It's so simple to use; you just plug in your guitar and it turns on when you plug in. There are no knobs to confuse the user, just an on/off switch. If you want to change the sound, you use your guitar's built in volume. No manual, no firmware, no patches. The BnE keeps it simple for the entry-level guitarist. // 10

Sound: I have used the BnE with all of my strat copies, and it lets out a louder roar of distortion on a humbucker equipped guitar, when compared to the sound from a single coil. When plugged into the amp, the speaker is bypassed and it turns into a distortion pedal. Just like most other raw distortion pedals, it's going to have a little noise, but nonetheless, it gives a great sound for something so simple. Even though this is made as a distortion pedal stompbox, it doesn't have a bypass function. You hit the off button, and you stop the connection to your amplifier. Kind of a conflict if you use complex pedal chain. But it isn't very hard to create a "true bypass" on the pedal, either. The distortion is, well, distortion; not much different than other distortion pedals. You reduce the level of gain on it by lowering your guitar's volume. As a Mini amp, it sounds better and louder than some of the cheaper amps I have been given the opportunity to test-drive. And the fact that it is portable is convenient. Altogether, the unit sounds great for something in the entry-level price range. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It has been reliable for me. Even though the BnE is mostly plastic, it feels solid like a brick. It also is pretty heavy for a small pedal, which is usually a plus because you need the extra weight to keep something so small on the ground whenever you push it, instead of having it Slide around when you try and press the switch. Even though I haven't had the opportunity to gig with this pedal recently, but It can handle my foot, and I am not exactly what you would call a lightweight, so I believe that it would hold its own in the long-run provided it isn't abused. However, due to the fact that it doesn't have true bypass, I probably wouldn't use it onstage. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly anything and everything, and the BnE is capable of giving me the sound I want, whether it be a light crunch, or all out metal distortion. I have been playing for around 4 years now, and I own a Korg AX5G guitar pedal, along with a DigiTech BP 80, pedalwise. Guitarwise, I own 4 strat copies, a Vintage Lyle 335, 5 Acoustic guitars, 3 basses, along with a 5-string banjo, a violin, and a mandolin. I own a small variety of amps as well; 4 electric guitar amps, and one bass amp. I love the fact that the BnE is a dual function unit that functions both as a stompbox and a mini amp. The main thing I hate about this pedal is the fact that it doesn't have a belt clip, and it doesn't have true bypass. In the scenario that it were to be lost or stolen, I would probably just buy another. Not too big of a dent in my wallet. There aren't any other amps that double as distortion pedals in this price range; there aren't any music stores in my hometown, so I had to ask a few people I knew about the BnE in general. I was told to go for it, because the only other option would be to pay 20 more dollars for a First Act plug in mini amp. In my opinion, if this is going to be a stompbox, it needs true bypass, and if this is going to be a mini amp, it needs a clip so you can clip it on your pants or belt. I will probably mod with mine to give it both of these features that I want. But nonetheless, I definitely would recommend this to the novice/intermediate guitarist. For the expert guitarist, they probably own something better, or they could probably buy something better. // 8

Comments