DJ-21 Black Coffee Metal Distortion review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DJ-21 Black Coffee Metal Distortion

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

I am learning guitar, so I have a "lesser-known" brand of amplifier and guitar. I have a Tradition G-12 (guitar) and a Kustom Solo 16 (amp). Overall, it sounds great, but when you put the Level up high, you will get some buzz from the amp. Although, as the name suggests, this is a "metal" distortion pedal, you can get a variety of levels of distortion. From a softer level to a level that would scare neighbors. However, this is more of an effect you'd use for Black Sabbath rather than Blink-182.

I mostly play Hard Rock, but I will occasionally play some Blink. And while this is perfect for the Hard Rock, it goes a little to far for anything short of it. I have been playing for a while, but this is my first effect. I'm not sure if I would replace it if I lost it. I really like how easy it is to use, but it irritates me how much it can buzz sometimes.

I find this to be very dependable. You could stomp on this for a while and I'm pretty sure it would still work the same way it did when it came out of the box. Very dependable, but I would probably suggest a backup at a gig.

This is very simple pedal to use. It only has three controls: Level, Bass, ans Treble, nothing fancy, just what you need. Since it is simple to use, there are no instuctions. However they have included serveral setting suggestions for you to try. But, since there is no instruction manual, this will drop the rating to a 4.