DJ-21 Black Coffee Metal Distortion review by Danelectro

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Danelectro: DJ-21 Black Coffee Metal Distortion

I play a Hondo strat-copy guitar, albeit a rip-off, I love the tone and sustain of this instrument. The pedal, while it still worked properly, delivered beautifully with this guitar through a 10-watt Silvertone practice amp. This is heavy, dirty distortion best suited to tearing up with powerchords and high-end leads. It easily covers artists such as KoRn, Static-X, System of a Down, and any other metal band you can imagine, I would bet.

This can be fixed should I wish to ship it halfway across the United States to the product factory in California, which I do not. It will literally cost me less to buy a Boss metal distortion pedal that I can rely on. The sound was nice when it worked, but I wouldn't spring for the cheapness unless you're getting a young musician started, or you are one yourself. Don't depend on it on a professional level.

This is the reason I posted this review, as a warning. As a general rule, Danelectro mini-fx pedals are not top of the line. Three days after the retail warrantee of my product expired, it began to emit a disgusting fuzzy white noise through my amp. No change in setting on any of the three variables (guitar pedal or amp) could get rid of the filth. The battery was fresh, and it made the same noise no matter what the input into the pedal. During play, the noise is less noticeable. But it is horrid in silence, the volume rivalling actual playing. Whether this was a freak accident or not, I would never trust my sound to this piece in a live performance.

This is a quite simple effects pedal to use. The three control knobs are very versatile, although the "level" knob acts much more like a second volume knob than it does to control the level of distortion. Patch in, patch out, plug in (if you don't feel like it easing you out of house and home in batteries), and stomp. The only thing I dislike about the ease of this pedal's use is the stomp switch is extremely small, and must be hit at the right angle. Entirely too easy to miss when you're jamming out.