DJ-21 Black Coffee Metal Distortion review by Danelectro

• Reviewer's score: 4.5 Poor
Danelectro: DJ-21 Black Coffee Metal Distortion

Purchased from: Intercontinental Music Land

I use a Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special with a TCM Ranger 60FX 60 watt amp. I must say that it is very loud when your not using it that is. This pedal was buzzing like strange old man pretending to be a bee. When you play the buzzing stops and the distortion sounds. The distortion is pretty sweet, though it is a strictly metal pedal for sure. I don't think there is enough actual tone while I'm in a room with myself and the range on the knobs isn't very wide, so your stuck with a kind of sound akin to playing under water where nots are not very distinct from each other.

I play all sorts of stuff, mostly metal or hard rock and even then this pedal is slightly overboard. I have been playing for almost 4 years now and I would not replace this pedal if I lost it. I havn't even used it for 6 months. I don't think the input and output jacks were placed very well for the weight of the pedal as they are both stuck on the very end of the pedal causing the wires to bend overtop. I own some other pedals and guitars and amps which I don't feel like listing all of right now, but this pedal is at the bottom of my list next only just above the line of deffective equipment. Find something else is my adive to those thinking of buying it.

I would never depend on this pedal, it would be a last resort for me. The gain is already overwhelming in a small room. Playing a gig with it likely would not turn out very well. The gain is to high and the distortion would just blend in and sound like crap live. There is enough problems with people cranking their gain live and then wondering why it sounds, like the guitar isn't making sound, this pedal doesn't have a really safe level of gain and I'm not willing to test out if I would beable to hear it. Only pluss is the knob protecter which is a good idea. The pedal is plastic and way to light, in my opinion, and one little tug and the pedal will flip and flail around.

The manual is not that great but it is the best you can get for such an non-complex distortion pedal such as this one. When I bought this pedal it did not come with a power supply, as usual, but it did come with a 9V battery which had already been drained out. It is not a hard pedal to firgure out as it only has three knobs (treble, bass, level) which explain themselves pretty well.

funkymonkey1049
    I used this pedal for many shows. it does have feedback but its got ****ing awesome tone and gain. its load too.