DJ-21 Black Coffee Metal Distortion review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DJ-21 Black Coffee Metal Distortion

This pedal is meant to sound low. It can be compared to the big muff, but not nearly as crunchy. It give you a perfect Black Sabbath tone if you turn the tones on your guitar down to a lower based tone. It sounds great for loud, fast(or slow), and bassy songs. I use this pedal whenever I play metal because it really doesn't have a light distortion. The best advice I can give is to turn the bass up and treble down on the pedal and the opposite on your amp.

I like this pedal. I've had it for 3 years and use it moderatly. I play all kinds of music, and this is the boost I have when I want it to sound more brutal. I love the sound of this pedal, it's just not durable. It's great for playing around with but not great for gigs. I wish you could mess with the distortion settings a little more, but other than that it's a great cheap pedal. Anyone should still invest in spending a little more on the Big Muff.

I would say this is a semi reliable. It's very light, and if you hit the pedal you some times run the risk of messing with the knobs. I notice to that sometimes the knobs pop out, making it extremely annoying. I wouldn't use this as a primary distortion pedal unless you are looking for something relatively cheap. Best suggestion... keep the $50 and spend a little more for a Big Muff. They sound better, are more adjustable, and can take a beating.

This pedal is a nice pedal, but you are really going to have to play with it. The tones make the pedal have too much treble or overwhelming bass. The best tones for this guitar would be a Black Sabbath, Wolfmother, or Heavy White Stripes sound. I bring the bass up on my pedal and down on my amp and keep the treble on the pedal very low. I have a Epiphone SG and strat standard, and I'd have to say it sounds okay with a strat, but only shows it's balls when used with my SG. The only disability is that the gain works as a volume, so you can't adjust how much distortion you're using.

by_guitar11
    I got one right after I bought my first amp and it kicked alot of ass, I've moved on to natural tube distortion now, but I keep it in my pedal case just in case I need skull crushing distortion on a different amp.
    saintjimmy924
    this pedal sounds bad ass but it isn't very durable i broke the treble knob off and it has some pretty bad feedback luckily my amp has a bit of a noise gate on it because you will need it!