DJ-22 Black Licorice Beyond Metal review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DJ-22 Black Licorice Beyond Metal

Purchased from: Top 10 Music

I play this with a Jackson DK2 Dinky through a Crate CR-280 amp. This pedal has a great sound, no matter what setting it's on. But with the bass all the way up, it sounds a bit too chunky and kinda makes your powerchords sound weird. The octave switch is awesome for playing death metal riffs, but it also screws up the sound of power chords. So I rarely use the octave switch.

My overall impression of this is great. I swear by this pedal. No matter what you play it does the job. Though you can't adjust the amount of distortion from the pedal, if you lower the volume on the guitar it sounds lighter. If something happened to this, I'd rush back to the store and buy another in a heartbeat. This stands up to the more expensive pedals I've seen and is even better than most of them. So if you want heavy distortion without a heavy price, I recommend you check this out.

I depend on this in my room or garage, whereever I decide to play. If I were to play a gig with this I would definitely have to have a backup due to the small size of this pedal. I've noticed the knobs come off if you hit the pedal too hard, and it's not very heavyweight so if dropped there is a tendency it could break. But if you're not playing a gig it is pretty durable.

There is no manual for this, but it is incredibly simple to use. It has 2 knobs (level, and bass) and an octave switch. It's pretty simple to get a good sound.

guitaristben
    I have got my bands first gig coming up. I am not sure whether to use this pedal because it has things wrong with it like when u press the foot pedal it sometimes doesnt happen and cuts out. Also the nobs come out aswell. It gives bad feedback so you have ur volume down and the amp loud, but when u want to go into clean sound, you can hardly hear it because the volume is low unless u quickly turn it up then when you want distortion turn the volume down. I dont know. The pedal doesnt suit my kind of playing aswell. I play Punk-Rock stuff like Green Day and it doesnt really suit the music. It is more aimed at bands like The White Stripes, Metallica, SOAD, etc... I might buy the Boss orange distortion/overdrive pedal. What do you ppl think?
    funkymonkey1049
    This is better than Black Coffee cuz it gets less feedback but it cuts down the level too much. it is great for low end sounds though and easy to get good pinch harmonics out of!
    richwatkinson
    IMO this is a fantastic pedal. Brilliant tone and gain, doesnt affect the clean sound and i havent had feedback once so far. Great reviews guys =]
    igotabcrich32
    i absolutely hate this pedal, it makes my amp sound like complete crap, horrible feedback, horrible tone, isnt a quality buikd, i'd stay away