DJ-22 Black Licorice Beyond Metal review by Danelectro

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Danelectro: DJ-22 Black Licorice Beyond Metal

I have to play with this pedal (2nd one I was given, 1st broke) with my Dean MLX and I have some crappy amp. I played through huge amps with this too and it still sounds the same. What sound is that? Well this pedal can make some metal tones but if your guitar is not perfectly (I mean perfectly) tuned, anything more than 1 string will sound like noise/crap. There is an octaver on this pedal, but all it does is make the sound fuzzy and staticey again, when you play chords. It's constantly buzzing as soon as you step on it whether you turn your guitars volume off or not.

I play metal, viking metal, death metal, speed metal. This pedal among all the others I've played just doesn't rank to high on my list. I've got a good 2 years of playing, and most of you will call that nothing, but I know what metal sounds like and this pedals one tone with -/+ bass won't cut it for most. If this pedal were stolen I'd still bludgeon to death the person who stole it, just for stealing from me, and then I'd shove that pedal up his ass. The only thing I like about this pedal is the decent harmonics and pinch harmonics it can sustain. I was given this pedal but I've played many others and they were all better, the Line 6 Uber Metal, the DigiTech Metal Master, the Spider IIs and IIIs, and so on and so forth.

This pedal is made out of plastic and so are the knobs, the push button is very small. The knobs come off with a wrong twist. It's good on batteries but the sound gets even muddier and fuzzier and it loses almost asll sustain when they start to go. It will break if you step on the octave Switch and that's hard seeing as how small it is, it says on the package that it comes with a knob gaurd but that is pure garbage, it don't. I'm not going to figure out if I could gig without a backup because I'm retiring this piece of crap for my new Line 6 Uber Metal.

This pedals not that hard to figure out, 1 level (increases volume from unity gain), 1 bass, and between them the octave on/off toggle. Getting a good sound out of it is really up to the player, it can get some decent tones but if you want this pedal buy it for 20 bucks off of the internet and not 60 at hastings (saw it there for that much). There's no manual, it just tells you 3 different settings on the back of the package.