DJ-22 Black Licorice Beyond Metal review by Danelectro

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Danelectro: DJ-22 Black Licorice Beyond Metal

I play my Black Licorice through a 15-Watt Fender Frontman amp with my Schecter C-1.The pedal is ok by itself, but shines to it's full potential when coupled with a Black Coffee pedal, either on your guitar, if you're in a band or just happen to have a friend handy. It gives a very high-end metal sound, simmilar to Metalcore leads, I.e. Bring Me The Horizon and The Devil Wears Prada, and is even good for a lot of straight-up rock such as Smashing Pumpkins, Cream, and Led Zep. And even though I'm not too impressed by the sound of this pedal by itself, it offers some decent distortion, but just seems a little whiny.

I have owned two pedals before this, both of which were stolen when I was broke and couldn't replace them. This pedal was bought mainly out of necessity, not desire, and is an ok addition to my Nintendocore band. I really do wish I had asked about the durability of this pedal before laying my cash down for it, but aside from that, this pedal offers every basic need a distortion pedal should provide. However, if it were stolen, I believe I would finally splurge on a Boss instead.

Durability: this pedal's major malfunction. To be purely honest, it's terrible. By the second day I had it the level knob was falling off independently, and it came from the factory with a stripped screw in the bottom where a 9-volt is inserted. I kind of think of it like an old car: it gets the job done, but only if it holds together on the way there. Definately would bring backup if I was performing at a gig.

This pedal is No Doubt intended for people who are new to pedals: easy to set up and use, and no complicated manuals. The extent of the entire pedal is two knobs, a tone and a level knob, with an octave shift Switch in the middle. It is extremely easy to use, and is a perfect start for any "pedal virgins" out there.

duzit89
    this pedal blows..get black paisley liquid metal..by the same company