DJ-22 Black Licorice Beyond Metal Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 03/13/2006 category: Guitar Effects
Danelectro: DJ-22 Black Licorice Beyond Metal
It drops you down an octave and adds a raging distortion. The combined effect will get their attention.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.2
 2,508
reviews (6) 11 comments vote for this gear:
DJ-22 Black Licorice Beyond Metal Reviewed by: SkaterD2002, on march 13, 2006

Purchased from: Hastings Movie/Music Entertainment

Ease of Use: How easy is it. Well if you can operate 2 knobs and 1 switch your in good hands. The best part is deciding if you want the octave on or off. Plug ins, AC adapter pretty basic. The funny thing is there is no manual for it. Its a no brainer its easy to operate. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Peavey Studio Pro 112 and with certain settings I can get the tone I desire. The sound is so great, it beats buying Overdrive and octave to get the sound you want. Spend the 60 bucks for something that already has it. When you switch from octave to Overdrive it has a major feed to it which is annoying. The sounds I get from this is a CKY sound. That's the reason I bought it. It has great CKY sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Can I depend on it? Hell no. The b--ch can break like nothing. I've already bought 2 of them. Now you can depend on the sound yes. But hitting it to turn on. I broke it by stomping on it. You know "stomp boxes" would I gig with it. No, 'cause when you hit the switch to turn it on, it doesn't come on some of the time if you hit it right. // 8

Overall Impression: Music I play is alternative, metal, and horror rock. This pedal falls under 2 catagories but yeah. I've been playing for 6 years and I've never seen something like this with great sound break so easy. My gear: Peavey Studio Pro 112, DigiTech: Grunge, Death Metal, Distortion Factory 7, RP 50, Dunlop Orig. 1960 Cry Baby Wah, Danelectro Black Licorice, Austin: SG Model guitar. Now if the pedal was stolen I would be upset 'cause of the price but eh hell with it. I love the sound but I hate the strength of it. I cant compare this to anything really. // 7

DJ-22 Black Licorice Beyond Metal Reviewed by: ethereal sin, on may 04, 2006

Purchased from: Top 10 Music

Ease of Use: There is no manual for this, but it is incredibly simple to use. It has 2 knobs (level, and bass) and an octave switch. It's pretty simple to get a good sound. // 9

Sound: I play this with a Jackson DK2 Dinky through a Crate CR-280 amp. This pedal has a great sound, no matter what setting it's on. But with the bass all the way up, it sounds a bit too chunky and kinda makes your powerchords sound weird. The octave switch is awesome for playing death metal riffs, but it also screws up the sound of power chords. So I rarely use the octave switch. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I depend on this in my room or garage, whereever I decide to play. If I were to play a gig with this I would definitely have to have a backup due to the small size of this pedal. I've noticed the knobs come off if you hit the pedal too hard, and it's not very heavyweight so if dropped there is a tendency it could break. But if you're not playing a gig it is pretty durable. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this is great. I swear by this pedal. No matter what you play it does the job. Though you can't adjust the amount of distortion from the pedal, if you lower the volume on the guitar it sounds lighter. If something happened to this, I'd rush back to the store and buy another in a heartbeat. This stands up to the more expensive pedals I've seen and is even better than most of them. So if you want heavy distortion without a heavy price, I recommend you check this out. // 10

DJ-22 Black Licorice Beyond Metal Reviewed by: the.spine.surfs, on december 14, 2006

Purchased from: Jackson's Music

Ease of Use: Manual-free, for a reason. Two knobs and an on-off Switch for the octave drop. Finding a tone you will have fun with is easy, level halfway, bass maxed, octave on. Finding a playable tone, not so easy. You hafe to fiddle to find something that lets the notes your playing cut through the hiss, and the distortion level is non-adjustable. // 6

Sound: I have an Ibanez RG7321 that I play with this through a Vox AD15VT, usually on the AC15 model. This pedal is noisy. Sad to say. The sounds you can get are UBER fun, but it's best for solo-ish things. Full chords and even powerchords dissolve into screechy beyond-reasonable noise. Still, if you're playing one little note at a time, this is a very fun distortion box. // 8

Reliability & Durability: These pedals have a bad rep for durability. They're fine, as long as you're not used to running cars over your stompboxes. That being said, I honestly would not gig with it; it's hard to hit the button just right while trying to play something. If I was set on taking it to a gig, I'd bring two. // 7

Overall Impression: Fun little box, and rather unique, but I don't think it's worth what I paid. The "beyond metal" tones are indeed beyond metal, but no so far that everyone should own this. If you play metal, and you're really out to find something to set you just a nudge apart from the other 35 thrash bands in town, Pick one up for your lead guitarist. // 7

DJ-22 Black Licorice Beyond Metal Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 04, 2003

Ease of Use: The ease of use on this pedal is possibly beyond the meaning of simplicity. You have two options which let you control the combination of the distortion level you would like. You have your level setting which will raise/lower the ammount of gain on the destortion, and another setting for the bass, which will help you get those old heavy metal crunches, and lighter bass for those nu-metal blasts. // 10

Sound: I'm using this pedal on my two JMG wall stacks, with my Ibanez RGT42RP. The feedback is amazing, and the static is practically noiseless. I've been able to mimic such distortion from Metallica, System of a Down, and Hatebreed. Only problem is the time it takes to get those exact level settings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can't definitely depend on my black licorice. Though I always have a backup. These pedals are so compact, they fit in the palm of your hand. Yet release a pure heavy sound thats absolutely amazing. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 2 years now. My band and I 'Glowless Halo' are focused on mixing funk with some nu heavy metal riffs. Think Red Hot Chili Peppers incorporating with System of A Down. What I love about the Black Licorice pedal is that it lives up to its slogan 'Beyond Metal' And it states that for a reason. Not only can you get those old wicked head bopping distortion, but you can get those scratchy fast screams which get the crowds jumping. What I hate about it is that theres not alot of customization abilities. My favorite feature its is size. I can now fit more pedals on my pedal before thanks to dan electro. I definitely depend on it to make music. // 8

DJ-22 Black Licorice Beyond Metal Reviewed by: Deth is iminent, on july 28, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedals not that hard to figure out, 1 level (increases volume from unity gain), 1 bass, and between them the octave on/off toggle. Getting a good sound out of it is really up to the player, it can get some decent tones but if you want this pedal buy it for 20 bucks off of the internet and not 60 at hastings (saw it there for that much). There's no manual, it just tells you 3 different settings on the back of the package. // 7

Sound: I have to play with this pedal (2nd one I was given, 1st broke) with my Dean MLX and I have some crappy amp. I played through huge amps with this too and it still sounds the same. What sound is that? Well this pedal can make some metal tones but if your guitar is not perfectly (I mean perfectly) tuned, anything more than 1 string will sound like noise/crap. There is an octaver on this pedal, but all it does is make the sound fuzzy and staticey again, when you play chords. It's constantly buzzing as soon as you step on it whether you turn your guitars volume off or not. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is made out of plastic and so are the knobs, the push button is very small. The knobs come off with a wrong twist. It's good on batteries but the sound gets even muddier and fuzzier and it loses almost asll sustain when they start to go. It will break if you step on the octave Switch and that's hard seeing as how small it is, it says on the package that it comes with a knob gaurd but that is pure garbage, it don't. I'm not going to figure out if I could gig without a backup because I'm retiring this piece of crap for my new Line 6 Uber Metal. // 2

Overall Impression: I play metal, viking metal, death metal, speed metal. This pedal among all the others I've played just doesn't rank to high on my list. I've got a good 2 years of playing, and most of you will call that nothing, but I know what metal sounds like and this pedals one tone with -/+ bass won't cut it for most. If this pedal were stolen I'd still bludgeon to death the person who stole it, just for stealing from me, and then I'd shove that pedal up his ass. The only thing I like about this pedal is the decent harmonics and pinch harmonics it can sustain. I was given this pedal but I've played many others and they were all better, the Line 6 Uber Metal, the DigiTech Metal Master, the Spider IIs and IIIs, and so on and so forth. // 4

DJ-22 Black Licorice Beyond Metal Reviewed by: ninjagayden777, on april 22, 2009

Ease of Use: This pedal is No Doubt intended for people who are new to pedals: easy to set up and use, and no complicated manuals. The extent of the entire pedal is two knobs, a tone and a level knob, with an octave shift Switch in the middle. It is extremely easy to use, and is a perfect start for any "pedal virgins" out there. // 9

Sound: I play my Black Licorice through a 15-Watt Fender Frontman amp with my Schecter C-1.The pedal is ok by itself, but shines to it's full potential when coupled with a Black Coffee pedal, either on your guitar, if you're in a band or just happen to have a friend handy. It gives a very high-end metal sound, simmilar to Metalcore leads, I.e. Bring Me The Horizon and The Devil Wears Prada, and is even good for a lot of straight-up rock such as Smashing Pumpkins, Cream, and Led Zep. And even though I'm not too impressed by the sound of this pedal by itself, it offers some decent distortion, but just seems a little whiny. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Durability: this pedal's major malfunction. To be purely honest, it's terrible. By the second day I had it the level knob was falling off independently, and it came from the factory with a stripped screw in the bottom where a 9-volt is inserted. I kind of think of it like an old car: it gets the job done, but only if it holds together on the way there. Definately would bring backup if I was performing at a gig. // 4

Overall Impression: I have owned two pedals before this, both of which were stolen when I was broke and couldn't replace them. This pedal was bought mainly out of necessity, not desire, and is an ok addition to my Nintendocore band. I really do wish I had asked about the durability of this pedal before laying my cash down for it, but aside from that, this pedal offers every basic need a distortion pedal should provide. However, if it were stolen, I believe I would finally splurge on a Boss instead. // 8

Comments