DJ-4 Corned Beef Reverb review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DJ-4 Corned Beef Reverb

Purchased from: Jax Music Supply (online)

I tried the pedal out using my trusty Harmony Strat and Orange Crush practice amp. Once again I was surprised that a pedal costing so little was so quiet. While the pedal does sound pretty good, it is more of a slap echo pedal that mimics reverb. So don't expect anything really like spring reverb fom this pedal. If you want spring reverb, I'd suggest and Electro Harmonix Holy Grail or something similar. For the money though, this pedal does a pretty good job.

I play Garage Rock, Surf, Rockabilly and the Corn Beef Reverb works really well for those styles. I've been playing 20+ years and have found the Dano stuff to be a good value for the money. All my gigging amps have reverb, so I probably wouldn't play a gig with this pedal. For around the house on a practice amp, it gets the job done. If it was lost or stolen I'd definitely get another since I have the Danelectro pedal board it fits in with some of the other mini effects. I like it's simplicity and the only thing I find 'bad' is that this is really more of an slap echo pedal than a spring reverb pedal. I find it a minor issue for something I'm not gigging with though.

I bought this pedal solely for use with my practice amp. If I was gonna play a show, I'd buy a Electro Harmonix or something similar. The Corn Beef may very well be fine in a gigging situation, but it's plastic case and delicate knobs make me think this one is better left in the bedroom. I might use it as a backup at a gig, but not as my main pedal. As a pedal for just jamming, it's solid.

Like most of the mini effects pedals by Danelectro, the Corn Beef Reverb is a very simple pedal to dial in. With only two knobs, Mix and Hi-Cut, it shouldn't be hard for even an inexperienced guitarist to figure out how to get a decent sound. While there isn't a manual, there is a small pamphlet with setting suggestions for this and many other Dano mini effects.