DJ-4 Corned Beef Reverb Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 08/18/2006 category: Guitar Effects
Danelectro: DJ-4 Corned Beef Reverb
Thrill to a warm reverb sound you haven't heard since mom tossed out your 45's.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 7.1
 7.8
 6.4
 4,446
reviews (2) 12 comments vote for this gear:
DJ-4 Corned Beef Reverb Reviewed by: RelientKaddict, on august 18, 2006

Ease of Use: It's easy to get a good sound. From a gentle mid-size room reverb, to a stadium reverb, to a near shower room reverb, it can do it all. Plus, only two knobs and a footswitch. Can't get much simpler. I borrowed it, no manual. I didn't need one though. It is quite easy to figure out. That's what I love about Dano pedals. They don't sound like a $400 effects unit, but, they're easy to use. // 10

Sound: A Fender Mexican Stratocaster. For some reason, if I plug certain cables into it certain ways, it squeals and causes nasty amounts of feedback. I haven't figured that one out yet. You only get weak tone if you have no volume from the guitar and turn the tone pot all the way down. I don't fiddle with a certain sound much. I just match a reverb to make a fatter, fuller sound to match the artists that I listen to. // 8

Reliability & Durability: If your cables make it feedback, no. I would use another analog reverb, or my Zoom 05 #2. Quite durable though. These pedals take a huge beating and keep working. I've even seen examples of one that had a half full beer can spilled on it. Dry it out, and it still works. I was very impressed. // 8

Overall Impression: I play almost anything rock, metal, acoustic, folk, punk, and this pedal goes well with all of them. I love the two knob setup. I hate the fact that I hit the knobs when I hit the footswitch. The knobs need to be recessed, kind like Boss pedals. That'd ease my pain when I play barefoot. Those knobs can bruise. I wish it had more than just reverb. A nice echo would be really cool. // 7

DJ-4 Corned Beef Reverb Reviewed by: ranbat, on march 11, 2011

Purchased from: Jax Music Supply (online)

Ease of Use: Like most of the mini effects pedals by Danelectro, the Corn Beef Reverb is a very simple pedal to dial in. With only two knobs, Mix and Hi-Cut, it shouldn't be hard for even an inexperienced guitarist to figure out how to get a decent sound. While there isn't a manual, there is a small pamphlet with setting suggestions for this and many other Dano mini effects. // 7

Sound: I tried the pedal out using my trusty Harmony Strat and Orange Crush practice amp. Once again I was surprised that a pedal costing so little was so quiet. While the pedal does sound pretty good, it is more of a slap echo pedal that mimics reverb. So don't expect anything really like spring reverb fom this pedal. If you want spring reverb, I'd suggest and Electro Harmonix Holy Grail or something similar. For the money though, this pedal does a pretty good job. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I bought this pedal solely for use with my practice amp. If I was gonna play a show, I'd buy a Electro Harmonix or something similar. The Corn Beef may very well be fine in a gigging situation, but it's plastic case and delicate knobs make me think this one is better left in the bedroom. I might use it as a backup at a gig, but not as my main pedal. As a pedal for just jamming, it's solid. // 7

Overall Impression: I play Garage Rock, Surf, Rockabilly and the Corn Beef Reverb works really well for those styles. I've been playing 20+ years and have found the Dano stuff to be a good value for the money. All my gigging amps have reverb, so I probably wouldn't play a gig with this pedal. For around the house on a practice amp, it gets the job done. If it was lost or stolen I'd definitely get another since I have the Danelectro pedal board it fits in with some of the other mini effects. I like it's simplicity and the only thing I find 'bad' is that this is really more of an slap echo pedal than a spring reverb pedal. I find it a minor issue for something I'm not gigging with though. // 8

Comments