DJ-5 Tuna Melt Tremolo review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DJ-5 Tuna Melt Tremolo

My current main guitar is an old Harmony H80T Strat copy. My main practice amp is an Orange Crush 15. I bought this pedal to get that classic Link Wray/Ventures sound. Those of you into bands like the Cramps and Brian Setzer might find this a handy pedal to have too. This pedal is super easy to use and alot of fun. With the Switch to Hard and by playing with the Rate you can almost mimic an Echo effect. This pedal does exactly what I want it to do and a little more.

I play Garage Rock, Surf and Rockabilly. It's a solid pedal for any of that. I've been playing 20+ years and have found the Dano stuff to be a good value for the money. I did some research and the Tuna Melt was highly recommended. Most people I came across said you couldn't find a better Tremolo pedal for the price. If it was lost or stolen I'd definitely get another since I have the Danelectro pedal board it fits in with some of the other mini effects.

I bought this pedal solely for use with my practice amp. If I was gonna play a show, I'd buy a Boss or Carl Martin tremolo pedal. The Tuna Melt may very well be fine in a gigging situation, but it's plastic case and delicate knobs make me think this one is better left in the bedroom. I might use it as a backup at a gig, but not as my main pedal. As a pedal for just jamming, it's solid. I might add that Danelectro has a knob protector that snaps on the pedal. If you installed one of those, it would probably be fine for gigging.

Like most Tremolo pedals, the Danelectro Tuna Melt is a pretty basic pedal. It has one knob for Depth and one for Speed. It also has a Hard/Soft Switch to change from a triangle wave (soft) to a square wave (hard). It's pretty easy to dial in that classic Tremolo sound. This was one of the 'bubble pack' pedals and did not come with a manual. There are a few setting suggestions on the back of the package which may be helpful to those unfamiliar with Tremolo pedals.