DJ-8 Hash Browns Flanger Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 09/01/2005 category: Guitar Effects
Danelectro: DJ-8 Hash Browns Flanger
Real '60s "thumb on the tape reel" flange effects. Delightful!
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 Ease of Use: 8.3
 8.5
 7.4
 1,864
reviews (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
DJ-8 Hash Browns Flanger Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2005

Purchased from: Dominics Music

Ease of Use: I was suprized by this pedal. I thought I'd have to buy the Boss Flanger. This pedal is extreemly easy to use and I would reccomend buying it if you are going to buy any flanger. The manual was there, but wasn't much help at all. Over all, the easiness is so easy, even I could figure it out. But I wish that there were sound suggestions, because it took me a long time to find the right tone. // 8

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez guitar (bought it off a friend, don't know what type) and a 15 Watt Crate amp. Though it doesn't really matter what type of equiptment your using, except for your pedals. The effects always sound great. Used with distortion, chorus, and over-drive. It's not too loud or too quiet, and you can always hear it. If you play Blink 182, it sounds good with the new stuff. Also, it sounds really cool if you play Thunderstuck! Awesome sound! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it, but I don't stomp as hard as I can on it. It's lasted longer than my Black Coffee, and I really didn't like that one. I would bring a backup battery but since I can't afford an other pedal, I wouldn't bother bringing a back-up into a gig. I wouldn't really want to even if I did have the money. I think I'm going to be using it until I'm dead. // 8

Overall Impression: I play punk/rock and it's awesome for any song with flanger in it. I've been playing guitar for 1 1/2 and I own a PA system. It's made by SoundTech and I use it for vocals. This was a good pedal because it was affordable and reliable at the time I bought it. I love the part where it goes really deep. And it's small and I can bring it anywhere! It's just hard trying to get back the tone if the knobs ever moved. I wish Danelectro would put 1-10 on all there pedals, or even just 10 dots all around. But it'll do for now! // 8

DJ-8 Hash Browns Flanger Reviewed by: lyingfromyou118, on march 25, 2005

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Ease of Use: This pedal has a broad range of awesome sounds. For such a cheap pedal, you would think it would sound like crap. I bought a cheap one because it was all I could afford at the time and I was pleasantly surprised at how this thing performs. Its versatile and comes with 3 settings: speed; regent; width. These are all easily adjustable to get that perfect sound you wish to achieve. The pedal even comes with some suggested presets on the back of the package. The setting knobs however, don't have numbers to help you remember personal presets, so it takes a little while to find your perfect sound. // 8

Sound: I run this little pedal with multiple Arion pedals, a Dan-O-Wah, and an '80s Epiphone Distortion through a Fender Amp. I use 2 6-string guitars and a baritone 7-string and all sound great using this pedal. The effects are always strong when you want them to be, and the pedal is silent when you want it to be. The sound is so adjustable, you could probably recreate any sound you heard with a little tinkering, however this can be a bit time consuming. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I depend on this thing very much, I've only used it with one gig but I didn't need a backup. Its very dependable and I found it to be durable after I dropped it a few times and it still worked. I've had it for a little over a year and have never had a problem with it. It still runs great. // 10

Overall Impression: I play music from classic rock to punk to metal and nu-metal to rockabilly and everything in between. This works perfect for many Korn songs that use such effects as well as a few Tiger Army and Killers songs. I've been playing for about 9 years now and I've messed with a few other flangers, but I must say that this pedal is great for the price. I love how versatile and adjustable it is, I just wish their was a little more ease to finding your perfect sound. If this was stolen or lost I would definitely by another one; its cheap, durable, reliable and has great sound. As aforementioned, the only thing it lacks are some numbers for the setting knobs to help go back to previous settings that you can't remember the exact positions of the knobs for. // 10

DJ-8 Hash Browns Flanger Reviewed by: ~Shred Hero~, on april 07, 2008

Purchased from: WorldMusicSupply.com

Ease of Use: This pedal is extremely easy to use! It only has three knobs: speed, regen, and width. Unlike the Boss BF-3 Flanger pedal, this pedal is almost self-explanitory. The Boss Flanger has a few extra knobs and modes that you have to expirement with before you get the hang of it. The instructions that comes with this pedal are not that great. They give you three sample settings and show a pedal board that you can buy for your D.E. pedals. // 9

Sound: I use this guitar with my Squier Strat (Modded) and my Vox AD30VT 30 Watt Stereo 10 Inch Combo Guitar Amplifier and my Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. The pedal itself isn't noisy although it can be noisy if I use my DS-1 in a certain setting; other than that, no. The effects this pedal produces are great in my opinion! The pedal only comes with a mono output however. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The construction of this pedal is plastic; obviously not making it a durable pedal. The knobs however are de-attachable so you don't have to worry about them breaking anytimes soon. I would not take this to a gig. I would perfer a Boss BF-3 Flanger or something of more solid construction. If you step on this pedal too hard you might break it or damage it. It's not built to last, so don't plan on keeping it forever (my pedal hasn't broken yet). // 5

Overall Impression: I play a mixture of rock, hardcore, metal, bluegrass, blues, a lot! I've been playing guitar for around a year and half now and have had this pedal for a few months. I wish this product had a streo output as well as a mono although the mono will just do for now. I also dislike the small button to activate it. I sometimes find myself having to press it twice just to activate it. However, I like how this little $30 pedal can produce an above-decent sound. // 8

Comments