DT-2 Dan-O-Matic Tuner Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 09/22/2015 category: Guitar Effects
Danelectro: DT-2 Dan-O-Matic Tuner
If you like flashy stuff, this may not be for you. But if you want a cheap and reliable pedal that gets the job done, go get the Dan-O-Matic DT-2.
 Ease of Use: 7
 7.9
 7.8
review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
DT-2 Dan-O-Matic Tuner Reviewed by: spokerman12, on september 22, 2015

Purchased from: Online salesperson

Ease of Use: What had me quite anxious was the fact that there weren't many reviews of this product, so I couldn't really know what the pedal had to offer. Its display is just like a regular digital tuner. It doesn't have a backlight. The screen consists in a band in the upper section with "CDEFGAB#" which indicates your current note, and on the lower section there's a -50/+50 frequency threshold line. Outside the screen, on the upper part, there's the usual set of lights that indicate whether your note is flat, spot-on or sharp (red, green, red in that order). So if you play in the dark, you can still manage to tune your guitar without hassle. // 7

Sound: This pedal has two outputs. One is a Direct Output where the sound is always present, the other is a Mute Output that you can block by using the footswitch. It's what you'd expect from a decent tuner pedal. It works just as one needs it to, nothing fancy here. You can use it as a second output for your guitar, so you can get two different outputs and mess around several sets of amps and effects.

Of course, the sound is unaltered by the pedal, but perhaps you could tap it really fast and get a really bad tremolo effect. The tuning accuracy is nothing to be amazed; I feel that it could be better, even though the manual states: "The Dan-O-Matic is more sensitive and the meter is faster acting than many other tuners. On some notes or instruments, the needle on LCD meter may move rapidly from one reading to another. If this happens, try playing the note more softly."

Perhaps I'm playing too hard? // 8

Reliability & Durability: What got my attention was the size of the pedal. It's larger than my Boss pedals and it is quite heavy too. It is built out of metal just like Boss pedals, so it looks and feels quite sturdy and able to take a beating. The weight does annoy me, and it is a bit too large for the sole function of tuning. Nonetheless, it was a bargain for the price I paid. I'm going to use this pedal at every band practice session to get accustomed to the tuning process, even though it is the basic procedure.

If you plan on buying a DC adapter somewhere else, this pedal uses a 9 Volt, 300 mA max, center negative adapter. // 7

Overall Impression: I needed a tuner pedal because I just couldn't bear to disconnect my stuff during a live gig anymore. Of course, I wanted the fancy Boss tuner (which you can easily find, at least here in Venezuela). The problem was the price, Boss is darn expensive for our standards. I kept browsing and found the DT-2 at the stated price, and considering that there is a major lack of balance in my country's economy I just had to take the risk. I couldn't find any good reviews of this pedal anywhere, so I figured I could tell you guys how it went.

The box brings a little booklet which explains the functions of the pedal, a sticker, and a 9-volt battery so you can use it right away. Actually, that battery was a really nice treat, considering that the DC adapters are quite expensive. Haven't seen that with any other pedal I've bought. The pedal is bright red, huge and pleasing to the eye; but sadly, all it does is help you tune your guitar, but I guess that's more than enough. What it lacks in electronic gizmos and lights, it makes it up by sheer physical appearance. But I'm not an pedal-head; on my live sets I just use a Dunlop CryBaby, and now I'll be using this little thing. So if you like flashy stuff, this may not be for you. But if you want a cheap and reliable pedal that gets the job done, go get the Dan-O-Matic DT-2. // 9

Comments