DTB-1 Free Speech Talk Box review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DTB-1 Free Speech Talk Box

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

I'm playing an American Standard Fender Strat through a Boss ME-50 through the Free Speech into a Roland Cube 60 but with this pedal I don't think it really matters what amp or guitar you'r using as it has such a distinctive sound. It can be quite noisy but it isn't too noticable when you're playing. The growl effect sounds quite good and I wouldn't reccomend using distortion from another pedal or your amp with this pedal as it tends to result in a lot of feedback. You really can get the exact sounds of talkbox players such as Ritche Sambora, Joe Walsh, Slash, etc. without any real difficulty.

This pedal is really amazing, it will really blow a crowd off their feet when they see your guitar start to talk, I'v even thought my guitar to say a few words! If I lost this pedal I'd definatly but a new one, why? Because it's the cheapest easiest to use Talk Box yet still it sounds great! The one and only complaint I have about it is that the compartment for the battery is too small, it took me more than a half an hour to try and squeeze in the 9 volt battery!

I think it's made from ceramic although it could be metal, I'm not sure, but whatever it is made from, it does seem to be very durable, I havn't had it long enough to know exactly how durable it is but I've had no problems yet. Well of course I'd use it without a backup at a gig because I can't afford to have two of them! I would be sure to bring spare batteries though as there is no power adaptor supplied.

For a Talk Box, the Free Speech is very simple to use, it has two settings; volume and growl (overdrive). To set it up, all you have to do is insert the "Dan-O-Tube" and microphone jack into the appropriate slots, input from your guitar and output to your amp and your ready to go. It is probably the only talkbox currently on the market that is totally self-reliant, you don't need a seperate amp or microphone as there are two mini mics attached to the top of the tube which send the sound from your mouth into your amp, the only thing you might want to buy is a microphone stand but even this you can do without. There is a manual for it but really there is no need for one as the pedal is so easy to use.

Abnormal_Omish
    Thanks for the review- im considering buying this pedal as the heil box is a bit too expensive for me right now.
    voxdude26
    can you hook a adapter up to it though? id hate to have to buy 9V's all the time!
    purplehazeman67
    DO NOT BUY THIS PEDAL!!! It is a total piece of crap. Believe me cuz i bought it two years ago and unless you know how to hook it to a p.a. or have one at home which i doubt most guitar players do forget this pedal. if you want the good stuff buy heil. as for a 9V adapter you can buy one for this pedal to answer voxdude's question.
    FeiRei
    Appearently Mr. Haze was unaware of how a talkbox works. For those of you who don't know a talkbox routes you guitars signal through a plastic tube into your mouth, thus making your mouth work as a speaker. As you manipulate you mouth you change the sound. Obviously your mouth as a speaker is not all that loud so you need a mic. If your desperate you can hook a mic into and amp, but if your a gigging musician as I am you have a pa. Please don't be put off by a product because someone was unaware of how it works. Danelectro has made awesome affordable pedals for years, and the Free Speech is no different. I use it when I play my Black Label stuff and it nails it every time. Long live the Dano.
    Bossman123
    You do NOT have to hook this pedal up to a P.A. system. It has two mini mics at the top of the Dan-O-Tube so that you can use in the same way as any other stompbox, and even if you don't like these mics you can just take them off and use a seperate mic through any amp. So purplehazeman67 should learn how a talk box works before he goes it and also if you were to buy the Heil one then you would HAVE to run it through a seperate amp or a P.A. system so the comment he just left was totally unfounded and stupid!
    purplehazeman67
    im sorry for not making myself super clear the pedal does work through a regular amp thats a given. what i meant to say is that i found the pedal very lakcing through an amplifier, it just didnt really have that peter frampton feel and besides that i just felt teh thing was a cheap sound. and believe me its not my amp. So you have to ask yourself is the price right for how much you'll use it. ive been playing for 8 years in rock, blues, and jazz bands and i never use the thing but thats just me. as for feirei and bossman im sorry for not explaining myself i just thought it was a given that the pedal would work throught an amp and i wouldnt have to explain that.
    adam purdie
    ColonD
    Consider putting the tube in your mouth. The pedal is great.
    CrimsonRoc
    i hear much better things about the rocktron version, and the dunlop one needs a seperate amp anyways
    XAkitAX
    ColonD wrote: adam purdie wrote: This product is CRAP! The concept is good, the pedel is well made but the quality of the mics..... rubbish! The mic plug is cheep and crackles due to poor conections, the mics feed back at low sound levels and low gain levels. The conections to the mics are so poor that within one hour of use one mic worked intermitently (with loads of crackling) and the other mic had stoped working completly!!! DONT BUT THIS PRODUCT!!! The over all sound was empy, with no mid range or bass at all!!! Iv never heard my trusty fender sound as shit as it did with this pedel!!!!! Consider putting the tube in your mouth. The pedal is great.
    owned by ColonD