DTB-1 Free Speech Talk Box review by Danelectro

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Danelectro: DTB-1 Free Speech Talk Box

Purchased from: www.thomann.de

I recommend using a clean channel on your amp if you are using the supplied mics, otherwise you will get feedback. I used a lot of guitars for this and guitars with Humbuckers (i.e. Gibson SG) sounded the best. With the "Growl" turned up pretty high there can be a lot of noise especially with single coil pickups on your guitar. The effect will sound a lot better if you put the tube as far into your mouth as you can without gagging, and move the mics closer to you. The overall sound is quite trebly, but that allows you to be more expressive, like how a wah pedal will be trebly at the highest point. This is a good talkbox sound, I was looking to be different rather than to copy someone when I bought it, although I am a Joe Walsh fan so that probably inspired me to buy it.

I play classic/alternative rock, this is a good match for my purposes. I've played guitar for about 7-8 years now and I've always wanted to try some odd effects like this. I also have a Dan-Echo from Danelectro, it's a great pedal even though it's old and bashed up, still works fine. There are a few things I'm a little concerned about however, Apparently the thing will blow the speaker if you put all settings max, I haven't dared try. If this were stolen or lost I'd probably get another one, I wouldn't pay any more than I did for a talkbox. I love the paintwork on this. Also the way I can use an effect to make my guitar playing sound even more distinctively like myself. The supplied mics are p

Well. Here's the thing, I'd definitely have to have a power supply to use it in a gig. It will eat batteries and after just a few hours will start to get quieter until it loses all power. Not the scenario you'd want in a gig. With a power supply, I can almost definitely depend on it. It's unlikely I'd need a backup because this thing is made of really thick metal, it would take a lot to damage the electronics inside.

This pedal is very easy and self explanatory to work, 2 controls: volume (guess what it does) and growl (distortion). Just connect your guitar to the input and the output to an amp, connect the tube and plug the mic mini-jack into the mic socket on the pedal, put the tube in your mouth and play. You use your mouth to manipulate the sound, but don't actually talk, let the guitar talk for you. Simple. Of course, the supplied Mics are detachable so you can use a stage mic as well. The manual is a bit useless but does anyone really need it for such a simple device?

Blompcube
    adam purdie wrote: This product is CRAP! The concept is good, the pedel is well made but the quality of the mics..... rubbish! The mic plug is cheep and crackles due to poor conections, the mics feed back at low sound levels and low gain levels. The conections to the mics are so poor that within one hour of use one mic worked intermitently (with loads of crackling) and the other mic had stoped working completly!!! DONT BUT THIS PRODUCT!!! The over all sound was empy, with no mid range or bass at all!!! Iv never heard my trusty fender sound as shit as it did with this pedel!!!!!
    nobody said you HAVE to use those mics... They are just there for bedroom use. No talkbox is ideal for bedroom levels, its when you mic them through a proper PA system that you get the best out of them.
    evhdawg999
    Definately a great pedal. simple to use, and if you have the equipment (regular vocal mic, obviously only one guitar amplifier) this pedal comes in handy. If an extra amp is on hand this comes in even better use, you can plug into one with ur mic, and the other with ur guitar so that the pedal can be turned on/off without worrying about a regular sound based on the mic. Many will say this isnt as good as a heil or rocktron, and this is true, you get what you pay for but you still get an ideal sound out of this piece of equipment (not to mention the "growl" isnt too bad either)