DTB-1 Free Speech Talk Box review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DTB-1 Free Speech Talk Box

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

I run a Epi Les Paul through this puppy with normally a practice amp (Fender 25R) sounds amazing, just as long as you toss those crap mics that come with it. Get a real mic and run it into your amp and your guitar into the pedal. Works like a charm. It can get noisy but only when you're practicing. When playing really loud it's just like it should be. You can be sure to get a Frampton Joe Walsh tone out of this. It's not the pedal's fault if you can't do it. You just need to work on shaping your mouth with the tube. Once again, the growl on this bad boy isnt half bad. (Only the fact that no matter how much growl you set it to, you will never get a clean tone)

I play blues and classic rock and I'll tell you this sucker does the job. Besides it's just fun to fool around with. I've only been playing for a year (I know you think I suck already) and you're probably right. I own a Fender Frontman 25R and a Yamaha EG-112C as well as my preferred epi les paul. I just wish that before I orderred this thing that I had known it would give off so much feedback when you get the mic too close to the amp. If I lost it, sadly I would not have the desire to get a new one, maybe a heil because I heard they were higher quality. I do love that it is portable and easy to use although it is very hard to get a position where there isn't much feedback. And don't use this with like a strat or anything with single pickups, it will sound like you know what. Humbuckers are the way to go for this puppy.

I don't know if I would gig with it only because the amp has to be louder since it's being used with a mic and not a pure signal. That's not a problem if you have more than one amp though, you can send a signal to one amp from your guitar and one from the talk box to Switch back and forth between tones (just turn up the volume on the "talk box" amp).

I'd have to say this thang is pretty sweet. It is the easiest thing you will ever use. It's an inline pedal like any other so it's not hard to figure out. You can tweak it I guess. The only thing I've ever done to it is take it apart, be careful though because it's pretty messy inside. Lots of circuit boards. it's got pretty much self explanitory settings; growl, and volume (growl is distortion which isnt too bad).

evhdawg999
    voxdude26 wrote: can you hook a adapter up to it though? id hate to have to buy 9V's all the time!
    no you don't have to buy batteries it does work with an adapter
    gratefulduck
    I LVE MY GUITAR AND MY BFF HEATHER POWER IS DEFINATELY NOT ALLOWED TO TOUCH IT!!!!! I
    druz15_UG
    How can people say that it sucks? It's pretty hard to stuff up a talkbox its a speaker box and a tube basically (with added circuitry for distortion) I mean it's a given the mics in it are going to be crap If you gig with it, here's an idea use one of the venues mics!!!
    JAM SAXON
    a shure SM 57 would do you very nicely and they are very cheap for a decent dynamic mic.
    PsiGuy60
    I have one quarrel about this pedal; for some reason when I bought it, it was WAY too quiet unless I ate the microphones. After replacing the microphone that comes with it, it sounds a million and six times better.
    silerburst LP
    People having issues with this petal are not using it properly. it will work in the stock configuration following the instructions, however I got the best results using 1 mic fastened flush with the end of the tube, and get it in your mouth as far as you can stand it. It will have to be off to one side in order to mouth words. Otherwise you can only get a wah sound. It will get plenty loud enough through your amp, if its not you are doing it wrong!