DTB-1 Free Speech Talk Box Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 08/28/2006 category: Guitar Effects
Danelectro: DTB-1 Free Speech Talk Box
The world's first "in line" Talk Box. Same effect used by Joe Walsh to Peter Frampton, now you can have the same effect in a more simple economical form.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 5,834
reviews (3) 18 comments vote for this gear:
DTB-1 Free Speech Talk Box Reviewed by: Bossman123, on august 28, 2006

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

Ease of Use: For a Talk Box, the Free Speech is very simple to use, it has two settings; volume and growl (overdrive). To set it up, all you have to do is insert the "Dan-O-Tube" and microphone jack into the appropriate slots, input from your guitar and output to your amp and your ready to go. It is probably the only talkbox currently on the market that is totally self-reliant, you don't need a seperate amp or microphone as there are two mini mics attached to the top of the tube which send the sound from your mouth into your amp, the only thing you might want to buy is a microphone stand but even this you can do without. There is a manual for it but really there is no need for one as the pedal is so easy to use. // 9

Sound: I'm playing an American Standard Fender Strat through a Boss ME-50 through the Free Speech into a Roland Cube 60 but with this pedal I don't think it really matters what amp or guitar you'r using as it has such a distinctive sound. It can be quite noisy but it isn't too noticable when you're playing. The growl effect sounds quite good and I wouldn't reccomend using distortion from another pedal or your amp with this pedal as it tends to result in a lot of feedback. You really can get the exact sounds of talkbox players such as Ritche Sambora, Joe Walsh, Slash, etc. without any real difficulty. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think it's made from ceramic although it could be metal, I'm not sure, but whatever it is made from, it does seem to be very durable, I havn't had it long enough to know exactly how durable it is but I've had no problems yet. Well of course I'd use it without a backup at a gig because I can't afford to have two of them! I would be sure to bring spare batteries though as there is no power adaptor supplied. // 8

Overall Impression: This pedal is really amazing, it will really blow a crowd off their feet when they see your guitar start to talk, I'v even thought my guitar to say a few words! If I lost this pedal I'd definatly but a new one, why? Because it's the cheapest easiest to use Talk Box yet still it sounds great! The one and only complaint I have about it is that the compartment for the battery is too small, it took me more than a half an hour to try and squeeze in the 9 volt battery! // 9

DTB-1 Free Speech Talk Box Reviewed by: Blompcube, on february 22, 2007

Purchased from: www.thomann.de

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy and self explanatory to work, 2 controls: volume (guess what it does) and growl (distortion). Just connect your guitar to the input and the output to an amp, connect the tube and plug the mic mini-jack into the mic socket on the pedal, put the tube in your mouth and play. You use your mouth to manipulate the sound, but don't actually talk, let the guitar talk for you. Simple. Of course, the supplied Mics are detachable so you can use a stage mic as well. The manual is a bit useless but does anyone really need it for such a simple device? // 9

Sound: I recommend using a clean channel on your amp if you are using the supplied mics, otherwise you will get feedback. I used a lot of guitars for this and guitars with Humbuckers (i.e. Gibson SG) sounded the best. With the "Growl" turned up pretty high there can be a lot of noise especially with single coil pickups on your guitar. The effect will sound a lot better if you put the tube as far into your mouth as you can without gagging, and move the mics closer to you. The overall sound is quite trebly, but that allows you to be more expressive, like how a wah pedal will be trebly at the highest point. This is a good talkbox sound, I was looking to be different rather than to copy someone when I bought it, although I am a Joe Walsh fan so that probably inspired me to buy it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Well. Here's the thing, I'd definitely have to have a power supply to use it in a gig. It will eat batteries and after just a few hours will start to get quieter until it loses all power. Not the scenario you'd want in a gig. With a power supply, I can almost definitely depend on it. It's unlikely I'd need a backup because this thing is made of really thick metal, it would take a lot to damage the electronics inside. // 9

Overall Impression: I play classic/alternative rock, this is a good match for my purposes. I've played guitar for about 7-8 years now and I've always wanted to try some odd effects like this. I also have a Dan-Echo from Danelectro, it's a great pedal even though it's old and bashed up, still works fine. There are a few things I'm a little concerned about however, Apparently the thing will blow the speaker if you put all settings max, I haven't dared try. If this were stolen or lost I'd probably get another one, I wouldn't pay any more than I did for a talkbox. I love the paintwork on this. Also the way I can use an effect to make my guitar playing sound even more distinctively like myself. The supplied mics are p // 1

DTB-1 Free Speech Talk Box Reviewed by: evhdawg999, on april 29, 2008

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Ease of Use: I'd have to say this thang is pretty sweet. It is the easiest thing you will ever use. It's an inline pedal like any other so it's not hard to figure out. You can tweak it I guess. The only thing I've ever done to it is take it apart, be careful though because it's pretty messy inside. Lots of circuit boards. it's got pretty much self explanitory settings; growl, and volume (growl is distortion which isnt too bad). // 8

Sound: I run a Epi Les Paul through this puppy with normally a practice amp (Fender 25R) sounds amazing, just as long as you toss those crap mics that come with it. Get a real mic and run it into your amp and your guitar into the pedal. Works like a charm. It can get noisy but only when you're practicing. When playing really loud it's just like it should be. You can be sure to get a Frampton Joe Walsh tone out of this. It's not the pedal's fault if you can't do it. You just need to work on shaping your mouth with the tube. Once again, the growl on this bad boy isnt half bad. (Only the fact that no matter how much growl you set it to, you will never get a clean tone) // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't know if I would gig with it only because the amp has to be louder since it's being used with a mic and not a pure signal. That's not a problem if you have more than one amp though, you can send a signal to one amp from your guitar and one from the talk box to Switch back and forth between tones (just turn up the volume on the "talk box" amp). // 8

Overall Impression: I play blues and classic rock and I'll tell you this sucker does the job. Besides it's just fun to fool around with. I've only been playing for a year (I know you think I suck already) and you're probably right. I own a Fender Frontman 25R and a Yamaha EG-112C as well as my preferred epi les paul. I just wish that before I orderred this thing that I had known it would give off so much feedback when you get the mic too close to the amp. If I lost it, sadly I would not have the desire to get a new one, maybe a heil because I heard they were higher quality. I do love that it is portable and easy to use although it is very hard to get a position where there isn't much feedback. And don't use this with like a strat or anything with single pickups, it will sound like you know what. Humbuckers are the way to go for this puppy. // 7

Comments