DD1 Digital Delay review by DeltaLab

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
  • Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
DeltaLab: DD1 Digital Delay

For such a price competitive delay, this unit sounds pretty good. Not quite as good as a nice analog delay of course, but it surely won't make you cringe. Doesn't seem to color the tone of the repeats, which I've noticed some delay pedals do. Overall, a nice option if you just want to dabble in using delay.

Overall, I would say this pedal is ok. Not great, not terrible. You definitely get your $60 worth of sound, but that's about it. If it's your first delay pedal, it's a good one to use to learn and have some fun with, maybe save as a backup for your rig later on. Unfortunately, the max delay time is a bit too short for all my needs (I believe it's 350ms), so I ended up upgrading, but I still use the DD1 as a secondary delay on my board.

This pedal unfortunately doesn't get great marks in this category. Had it on my board and I must have hit it on a doorway or something, the footswitch popped right off and I didn't even know it. I didn't even know I had hit anything so for all I know it could've just fallen off on its own. Anyways, had to take it back to GC because it was under warranty. As soon as I walked in the door I was told that I had to talk directly to "the company" and GC didn't deal with the warranty. Well, I'm pretty sure Delta Lab IS Guitar Center (somehow) so lo and behold, I email "the company" and they tell me GC handles their warranty replacement. I'm sure some of you have had similar frustrating experiences. So when I went back to have it replaced, the GC manager was nice enough to save out a unit in a box that was beat to heck for me, basically traded a broken pedal for a probably broken pedal. And that, my friends, was the last time I shopped at that store. Anyways, not a very dependable unit.

The DD1 is a very simple delay, with three knobs, one for mix, which basically dictates how much of the effect you hear after the original note, one for time which is the length of the repeated segment, and one knob that adjusts the number of repeats. Would be nice if it had an adjustment for the decay rate, but for $60 the features are fine.