MD1 Metal Distortion review by DeltaLab

DeltaLab: MD1 Metal Distortion

I play one guitar (only one currently since I sold my Thinline Tele to pay for it), an Epiphone G-400 Custom (3 hum one), and a Vox Night Train full stack (just buy the half stack then add another speaker cab later). The effect can be noisy if not connected to a noise gate especially if your gonna use multiple pedals or have any ideas of recording with it, you had better Pick one up. The Rocktron HUSH Noise Reduction Pedal is by far the best for doing any sort of noise clean up. The MD-1 is generally a pretty solid pedal. Almost too solid you know? I feel as though I'm gonna find out that instead of $40, I look at the receipt and see that I spent $400. It's not good for emulating popular artists, mostly because it doesn't sound quite like anything, but I enjoy that much more because it also allows me to develop a signature sound that I have, with out anyone really copying me. With the Black Label Chorus, you have the ultimate effects unit together. The warm overtones of the Chorus blend so perfectly with the MD-1.

This pedal was design for metalhead, by a metalhead (probably). Only a metalhead can provide a pedal that sounds like it costs 10x the price. And for $40 if you're a new player, it's for you. If you're an advanced player, it's for you. If this was lost, I'd buy 4 more just in case the other three get lost. For a comparably priced pedal, check out the DigiTech Grunge pedal. The control layout on that is High, Low, Gain, and Volume. I would have liked a bass/treble control, but after trying both out, I fell in love with the shape control on the MD-1. Overall, one of the best distortion pedals I have ever had the pleasure of using.

While I do try to rely on as few effects as possible, I cannot help but feel as though this has become the center of my rig. If I were to give up all of my other effects and keep one and only have one forever and ever, this would be it. One problem that I have had is that one of the wires broke off the plug for the battery. I have rectified this by buying the $15 AC plug, which was the plan anyways (batteries do not last long in here maybe a few days). And with the price of batteries these days, most people who buy this should also get a AC plug. I have and will continue to gig with this. It gives me an unequaled sound with it's incredible chunk.

As long as you adjust the level (the volume control), the pedal sounds great right out of the box. It's got three controls: a gain control which adjust the amount of distortion, a shape control which changes how the pedal sounds, and a level control which as stated above raises and lowers the volume. The sound is very grainy which is good if your like me and want to just play metal, but I would also suggest getting a fuzz box like a Z Vex Fuzz Factory if you also want to have a good classic kinda vibe (I would not recommend using both at the same time). The manual is even easier (if possible) to use. It has 8 pages and it typed on paper about the size of the entire box which is 2x6x1.

tonello
    slipknot_420 wrote: Youll def have a signature sound with your vox nighttrain:o and a cheap distortion pedal
    Yes it's a cheap pedal, but it sounds like it costs twice as much.
    higherworlds
    Overall rating: 9.3 Users rating: 1 This shows you guys how much this pedal sucks, if you dont know about tone and and dont care about everything in your Rig (including specifics) then by all means, buy it for 40 bucks and be oblivious... wow
    larrytheguitar
    This pedal isn't great but have you heard their Tube Overdrive? It's just as cheap and sounds amazing. It's the new Bad Monkey.