Vahana Boost review by Demon Pedals

• Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Demon Pedals: Vahana Boost

Price paid: € 135

Purchased from: Demon Pedals

The one thing that could be a downside for some folks, is that it only runs with a power supply but not with batteries.

The Vahana Boost is an easy to use booster, hand made and of high quality. It comes in a box with stickers, a button and a manual. It is small and won't take much space on your pedalboard. You plug your jacks in the sides and the power supply goes in the head of the pedal. You have got one knob, and the switch to turn it on. There is nothing complicated about this pedal and it got some demon mojo!

The "Vahana Boost" is a hand build booster from an upcoming company in Germany named Demon Pedals. Two month ago I was in the studio to record and I had the chance to take some additional equipment with me. Besides classics like the Klone and old Tubescreamers, I took three Demon Pedals with me.

The other to Demon Pedals I tried are My Sleeping Karma's bassist's signature fuzz "Mattrix Fuzz" and an overdrive pedal named "Ganesha Drive" of which I will do a review soon.

I've tried the Vahana Boost over a Friedman Amp, different Marshalls, different Black Stars and an Egnator amp. The pedal enriches the tone by adding warmth and adding depth. The characteristics of the different amplifiers were not overshaddowed but backed up, varying in intensity according to the "Karma" knob. When it's turned up to eleven it adds a decent touch of distortion to your sound, but not messing up your clean sound. The pedal will work best if you use it with a tube amp, it is cool with a transistor amp but the Vahana truly shines hitting tubes.

I was surprised by this pedal, and it is the kind of booster I was looking for.

The pedal is a hand build pedal and it makes a solid impression. It looks and feels like it will sustain rough gigs and I have no doubt that it will. The manufacturing is of high quality, from the components to the finish and workmanship.

Here are the specs from the manufacturers website:

• Only high grade film capacitors and resistors were used for their superior sound and response
  • Completely True Bypass
  • 9V power jack (barrel plug like Boss - 2.1mm center negative)
  • 2.0" x 3.9" x 1.2" in size (50mm x 98mm x 31mm) - height excludes knobs and switches

I play in different bands from soul and blues to psychedelic rock and stoner to sometimes a little reggae. I use the Vahana Boost for my guitar playing as well as for my bass playing. I've got the Ganesha Drive on my board as well as other hand made pedals like Foxrox Octron 2 and KMA Audio Machines Astrospurt.

I love the fact that the Vahana is simple. You switch it on and you get your sound, maybe you want to try a little with the one knob you have and that's it. It's a pedal that easily does the legwork.

YouTube preview picture