DS-30 Distortion review by Denio

• Reviewer's score: 1 Junky
Denio: DS-30 Distortion

Purchased from: JB Music Philippines

This pedal is as good as paper weight and I don't even use it on gigs except on RATM songs. It sucks the tone out of your guitar even when it is off. This is a cheaply made effect. Better to be called as Denio Crapper than DS-30. I can never get the sound from any artist except rage against the Machine. On other tracks, it is either too trebbly or too bassy.

I play in 2 bands, a grunge/alternative band and a RATM tribute band. I only use this pedal on RATM tracks and remove it from my effects chain when not playing rage because of the terrible hiss and tone sucking it does on when all pedals are off. This pedal was an unwanted gift from my girlfriend Who does not have prior knowledge on guitar gear. Actually she overheard me talking about an Orange distortion pedal (Boss Mega Distortion) and bought this Denio thinking it was the same pedal. I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings so I kept this pedal though I find limited use for this.

This is a very unreliable pedal. I would never use it except on selected noisy songs. What kind of pedal creates an effect to your clean tone when it is off? I would never gig without a backup with this pedal. I am even seriously considering retiring this pedal.

3 knobs, how simple can it get. The fact is, the tone has very minimal difference when you move it from min to max. The tone knob should be labeled as crappy when on min and crappiest on max. The same should be done on the dist knob. It came with no manual and I had to figure out stuff by myself. Even if you upgrade this unit, it would still suck.

frusciante_fan!
    I own this pedal (lord knows why). i got it for free from a friend along with his guitar. It is honestly not worth having even though i got it for free. it just takes up space and gathers dust. i would only use this pedal if i wanted to annoy the neighbours with a crappy sound.
    What kind of pedal creates an effect to your clean tone when it is off?
    i couldnt agree more. this pedal on clean is one of the most horible sounds ive ever heard. NEVER BUY THIS PEDAL!!!!