Hyperion Review

manufacturer: Devi Ever date: 11/30/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Devi Ever: Hyperion
Damn simple, just two knobs. Can work via battery or by power adapter.
 Ease of Use: 8
 9.4
 8.8
 2,640
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Hyperion Reviewed by: Wulver, on november 30, 2009

Purchased from: AnalogueHaven.com

Ease of Use: Damn simple, just two knobs. Now, granted, I'm not sure if these knobs work quite the same way as your typical level/gain setup, but it's the same general idea. Can work via battery or by power adapter. Eight given due to simplicity, but I dunno what else you'd need in this guy. // 8

Sound: This is a real monster of a pedal. Though it's more tame and conventional than most of Devi's designs, this thing might still be overwhelming for some people; the amount of gain on tap is utterly ridiculous, and I've yet to push it beyond 12:00 in a gig situation. This is also a LOUD pedal; unity gain is somewhere just below 9:00. In terms of tone, I'd liken it to a Big Muff with some extra roughness and a much more prominent midrange. This pedal will have NO problem cutting through a multiple-guitar band mix. It actually reminds me very much of Robert Fripp's tone, that amazing sustain-y lead sound. This pedal also seems to have a noise gate of sorts in its circuitry, so controlling input volume with your guitar's volume knob or a volume pedal opens up some additional tones and textures. You can pull off a Kinks-y torn speaker sound, and even coax a nearly saxaphone-like tone out of it. Overall, I could go with this as my only distortion pedal and be content with it, it can do quite a lot and do everything it does well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Typical "boutique" pedal stuff here. The enclosure is steel/metal, whatever, and actually smaller than the typical MXR-BYOC-size enclosure. Quality of the pots and true-bypass switch seems fine, I can't see having any problems with this pedal, especially not like the Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz I'd had for a while before this... // 8

Overall Impression: I've been at the guitar playing thing for over two years now. For reference, my current pedalboard is Hyperion > BBE Soul Vibe > Boss OD-1 > Morley Little Alligator > Ibanez DE-7, my two main guitars being a heavily modded Epiphone Dot Studio and a partsbuild Strat I usually use for slide. I tend to lean more towards the spacier side of rock, being more a fan of Jeff Beck and David Gilmour/Pink Floyd and King Crimson and such than the heavier side of AC/DC and whatnot. I've always considered fuzz an important part of my rig, and thus I spent quite a while trying to find a satisfactory fuzz pedal. My main problem has been trying to find one that fits my amp, an older Fender SS amp (Stage 112 SE model). My original, a BYOC Fuzz Face clone, never quite worked with it, so a Quest of sorts began. The Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz actually sounded very nice, but it ended up breaking after a few months. I had also tried a Seymour Duncan TweakFuzz, but it also didn't mesh with the amp, and on top of that had no midrange to it whatsoever, and ended up being kinda worthless to me. The Devi was the next pedal after that (thanks to the Ultimate Guitar forums and Harmony Central forums for pointing me the right direction), and though I might buy other pedals for different sorts of fuzz, the Devi will be a part of my sound for a long time. It invalidates the need for any other fuzz in the Big Muff tonal family, and is just really useful in all aspects. As I said, a person who can make good use of their volume control could easily use this as their only dirt pedal. Overall nine, if you need fuzz of the Big Muff variety you should definitely consider this. I feel this can do more than a Big Muff ever could; people call it the Big Muff Killer for a reason after all. // 9

Comments