J-Drive MK3 Review

manufacturer: Diamond date: 04/05/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Diamond: J-Drive MK3
The Mk3 evolution of the J-Drive integrates even more functionality and tonal variations into the combined drive and clean boost concept.
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.5
 9.5
 7.5
 2,001
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
J-Drive MK3 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 05, 2008

Purchased from: Musicstop Dartmouth

Ease of Use: Very simple pedal, 4 self-explanatory knobs, 1 mini-switch for a brightness boost, 2 buttons, 1 for clean channel, 1 for overdrive. This is the third version of this pedal, and while the effect itself may have been modified somewhat over the years, the simplicity of the pedal remains the same. The manual comes with some very nifty presets, and if you're a really tech-nerd, a very nice explanation of the routing of the pedal. // 9

Sound: I can use this pedal with almost any other pedal on my effects board, and get the same amazing results each time. I use a Fender Supersonic Guitar Amp, and 2 H-S-H configuration guitars, both medium to high quality guitars (Ibanez and Godin), after market pickups in both, and a string of other effects as well. The true bypass Switch makes for perfect tone when the pedal is off, and when it is on, each of the knobs respond to even the most subtle of changes. If I really wanted to, I would easily use 2 of these pedals, one for Overdrive and one for distortion, this thing can breathe fire when its cranked, and when it's lighter, it serves as a perfect Overdrive. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Built like a tank, the hammond casing on these things are excellent. And in terms of the electronics, I've never had a problem with it, and when I thought it might have been fried due to a power surge, I took it to the guys in Sackville, they did a full inspection on it and made sure everything was solid. Turns out it was my DC Brick that was the problem, but regardless, I would rely on this pedal more than any other on the market and I've got through a few pedals. // 10

Overall Impression: Typically, I play Progressive Rock when I'm in my element, but I change it around, from lighter rock and easy listening to heavy metal and thrash metal and everything in between, and this pedal can do it all. I've been playing for close to 9 years now, and I've owned about 4 or 5 other Overdrive pedals before this one (Boss OD-1, Danelectro Daddy O, Ibanez Vintage TS-808, Fulltone OCD), and while some of them have proved to be very nice pedals, they don't quite offer the same range and quality as this pedal. If it were lost or stolen, I would seriously consider looking at another Fulltone OCD, but I know I would come back to the J-Drive. There are no flaws to these pedals, when you plug it in, you're going to get great results, every time. Even though a lot of people speculate that the Vintage TS-808s are the best overdrives you can find, I would say that the Fulltone OCD and the J-Drive Mk3 easily blow it out of the water. The OCD is a totally different sound from the Mk3, I would say much deeper and really really bassy almost, whereas the Mk3 can reach close to the same low-end punch, it tends to give a much brighter set of harmonics, and generally, a bit stronger mids when you get up to the higher notes. I recommend you try out both and see which suits your playing style more, but for me, the Mk3 is all I'll ever need. Once again, Diamond has given me something irreplacable. // 9

Comments