Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive

I am using a Cruiser by Crafter RG600, with a Denio CH-40 Chorus pedal, through an old Stagg amp. The pedal is a very noisy pedal if you turn it right up, though if you strive to get an amazing tone from it, you find it can be a subtle noise as well. This pedal is always very strong sounding, unless the battery is running out at which point the effect isnt so good. I am able to get a good sound out of it and I can replicate the sounds of many of my favourite artists, such as Cream. I can also manage to get a good Nirvana sound out of it.

I really play classic rock and blues and also a lot of grunge. This pedal is(as far as I am concerned) a good match, as I can get a very good sound out of it for all the music that I play.I have been playing for two years and I own a Denio CH-40 Chorus pedal aswell. If this pedal was stolen, I would take after the person Who stole it. When I caught them, I would take the Bad Monkey and Drive it through their skull. I would then take the Bad Monkey and enough of their money so that I could buy a new one and have two! The thing that I love most about this pedal is that it doesnt't take long to make a great sound with it. However, the only bad thing about it is that it eats batteries like they are going out of fashion. I compared this product with the other pedals in Digitech's distortion range and decided that it was the one that was most versatile.

Generally speaking, you can depend on this pedal. It will always give you an amazing Overdrive. However, if you are not going to use a power supply, be warned, it eats bateries. Especially if you leave the leads plugged in. I would take it to a gig without backup, though I would definitely make sure I took a spare battery with me, or I would change the battery before I left for the gig.

This pedal is one of the easiest pedals to get a good sound from. You literally turn the knobs and you have a great tube overdrive sound. You do get a manual with it, but that just tells you where to plug the leads in and what each knob does. There is also a small catalogue that comes with it that shows all of Digitech's stompboxes and in there you can find some settings to start you off.

led_zephyr
    i have had this pedal for 1.5 years and it rocks. its no tubescreamer but it gives boss a run for their money. surprisingly real tube tone and highly versatile. however, i recommend the BBE GREENSCREAMER, it is an exact copy of a Tubescreamer, just of higher quality, analog circuitry, and true bypass, all for 100 dollars.
    BloodBlooms
    the point of this pedal (and i own two of them) isn't to get balls-out heavy. it's digitech's take on the tubescreamer circuit, so keep that in mind. it wasn't made to do high gain stuff. it was made to add just a little grit to your tone and boost an already-distorted signal. that's the difference between distortion and overdrive. it's a great effect--especially since it's all analog, true bypass, and $30 new on eBay.