Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive

Purchased from: Playford Music Co.

the Bad Monkey not only is fun to say but fun to play thru. So far I've used my Epiphone Jr. P-90 thru it into a Marshall MG100 half stack and at the store played thru a tube amp. It sounded awesome on both amps. It gives a nice smooth Overdrive just as it promises. I play many genres, my band plays punk/ska and this is a very nice addition to my pedals. I also play a lot of Smashing Pumpkins, and I've always had trouble with a solid state amp getting the light overdriven sound in intro of bullet with butterfly wings, and this pedal solved that. This pedal is great from smooth lightly overdriven cleans to Classic rock Overdrive.

As I said I play just about anything, and this pedal is great for overriven punk, classic leads, and those light overdriven 90's Grunge intros (I can get a nice smells like teen spirit intro sound). I've been playing for a year and 4 months. I also own a Crossroads pedal and a Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi. With these three I'm pretty much set distortion wise, and am ready to look into different effects. I would absolutely buy this again if it were stolen for 45 bucks it's a hell of a deal. I went into the store planning on getting a Screamin' Blues or Bad Monkey, I could get the Screamin' Blues sound with my Crossroads pedal and the Bad Monkey had a much different sound, so I chose the Bad Monkey. I wish it had a little bit more gain, just a bit, but I just turn on my bigg muff on a low setting to get a little more boost, heck vice versa too. If you need a nice smooth Overdrive, this is a heck of a steal.

DigiTech pedals are made quite well, durable and easy to use, I doubt it'll break, it's like a steel brick. And I would gig without a back up. another thing is it doesn't slip around due to it's weight and nice grips on the bottom. Stomp on it as hard as you want, it can take it.

This pedal has its typical DigiTech set up with level, lows, highs, and gain knobs. Pretty simple to use and very easy to get you guitar to sound like a Bad Monkey. The manual gives you a few pre sets which are all pretty spiffy, but it won't be too hard to stray away and get your own sound.

Hart_Attack
    agreed with bloodblooms, this pedal for me has all i need when i play. When I need a good SRV tone I'd set up my Vox on a tweed 4x10 with the gain at 3 o clock and the gain on my bad monkey which I've dubbed "Otis" at 10 o clock with the bass at 2 and the tremble at 10. sweet creamy tones, I can even get a really great santana with those same presets but my vox on black 2x12 and the gain on my bad monkey at 4.5 o clock. get this pedal if your under a budget but still need great tone.