Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive

Purchased from: GAK

The pedal's pretty quiet. I'm running a Fender Standard Strat through this straight into my Valve Jr. It gets a great bluesy Overdrive tone, and is very effective at mimicking natural Overdrive. The effect is strong, and sounds great. Mine doesn't eat batteries. It lasted 2 months on the battery it came with of about 1-2 hours a day of playing. It nails Clapton tones, and SRV tones pretty well, it really makes a Strat sing. Imagine a TS-808. Add a High and a Low control, add a bit more grit, take a bit of gain away and you've got a Bad Monkey. 9 here.

I play blues, blues rock, classic rock and the like. It's a perfect match for my playing along with my Strat and Valve Jr. I've been playing for a few years, one year solidly. It's the best in the pricerange, I love everything about it. Suits me to a tee, it really is an amazing pedal for 32. There really is no competition for it in that pricerange.

Reliable? Sure. Just look at it, massive metal case, battery entombed inside with more metal. I'd gig it without a backup. It's pretty heavy for an OD pedal too, gotta be a good sign of durability. Loads heftier than Boss pedals. 9 for reliability & durability.

As overdrives go, this thing is great. It's totally simple to use, with a level control, high + low controls, and a gain control, more controls than a Tubescreamer. You can get the sound you're after in about a minute. I've compared it to my Valve Jr's natural OD, and with the right settings, it sounds almost exactly the same but at a more acceptable volume! Comes with a battery, manuals + suggestions for settings, everything you need. 9 for ease of use.

Chiefwiddler
    After buying the Metal Master pedal, I vowed never to buy Digitech again. It was awful. Ok if you want to sound flat and characterless, but it made my mind up to invest in a Boss GT8. Now that is a wicked piece of kit!!
    mfergel
    Yeah, folks don't seem to fully understand this pedal. This pedal is at it's best pushing an already overdriven amp, like a JCM800. I use it with my JCM2000 DSL. Turn on the green channel crunch and push it with the Bad Monkey. We are talking thick tone. It's really not going to help a solid state amp.
    tobythechimp
    on the contrary mfergel i use it through SS amps and it sounds amazing! Its great with my ibanez s-470 and when i need a bit more boost i stick on my EQ (i use it as a boost pedal) and hey presto-solo tone