Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive

Clearly, DigiTech was trying to manufacture a cheaper version of the Tube Screamer, one of the most popular Overdrive pedals. As a whole, the Bad Monkey(BM) created similar tones. It was very quiet, even when the gain was cranked, and I would reccomend using this pedal either to get a good overdriven rhythm sound, classic rock sound, or, use this pedal to boost your amps distortion channel for a lead setting. I feel like the greatest use of this pedal lies in its ability to boost a lead signal without creating any unwanted feedback or hum. I certainly wouldn't really on this pedal as my main rhythm sound, but I play more modern rock that requires a lot more gain.

If you are looking for a cheap way to get that classic tude Overdrive sound, the Bad Monkey is probably the best way to go. Through a tube amp, the pedal does sound very nice, but it certainly doesn't top the classic Tube Screamer. As a guitarist of about three years, I've tried out a ton of gear, and there's nothing too special about this pedal. It works well, it feels tough, and it sounds decent. it's nothing I would replace if lost or stolen, but if I were tight for cash (arent we all?), this would be an alternative I would deffinately look into.

The pedal is built with a metal/steel body or something like that, regardless of material, it was hard and built for smashing. I felt like I could really on the BM not to let me down durring a gig, and I think it would hold up very well after constant use.

So I went with my friend to GC today and he was trying out different pedals to try and find a good distortion pedal for his single channel Crate amp. We took a look at the cheap line of OD and distortion pedals by DigiTech and the first was the Tube Overdrive Bad Monkey. The pedal was extremely easy to use, I didn't even take a look at the manual. There were four knobs, Level, Bass, High, Gain. And each knob functioned as it was clearly labeled. There are no patch editing features, but the knobs felt pretty firm, so you wouldn't have to worry about them brushing a side and screwing up your setting.