Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive

Purchased from: CA House Music- Wva.

I use this pedal to front end my Peavey Windsor Head. The pedal isn't noisy at all. The effects are easily tweaked to your likings. Remember: this is an Overdrive pedal, not a distortion pedal. This pedal is made to boost your amp and give more grit and gain. It also tightens up your sound too.

My bands orginals are a hard southern rock, and we do covers all the way from heavy '70s rock and up. This pedal works for everything. If it were stolen or lost I would get another one the next day because of it's inexpensive pricetag. The way that it boosts your amp and tightens up the sound is great.

This pedal has never given me a single problem. It's never broke once and is very reliable. I gig it without a backup all the time. I use power supplies for all my pedals, so I don't know what the battery life is like. It's one of my favorite pieces of gear.

The DigiTech Bad Monkey Overdrive is a great Overdrive for a bargain price. Many people have referred to this as a "Tube Screamer clone on a budget." It is a simple pedal to use and doesn't take a whole lot of time tweaking. The manual that comes with it is also very informative and give some suggestions on setting.

Weybl Himself
    I've found this pedal to be a great 'thickener'. When the gain's right up it tends to get rather messy in the highs and lows but it's great on a low gain setting to add a little grit and tighten up the midrange. I wouldn't use this for anything heavy at all, it's just not over the top enough. As for improving the tone of an SS amp, it's not a huge help there, it hints at tube characteristics but it really is at it's best when it's used to push a tube amp just that little bit harder.
    which ones pink
    ^It's not a waste of money with a tube amp. I use it to get Zeppelin and SRV tones out of the clean channel, as my amp has far to much distortion on the second channel. I also use it to tighten the signal on said distortion channel, especially for solos and shredding, as it's very loose.
    the.spine.surfs
    Tele Echoes wrote: Fuzz Face, or Big Muff and/or Double Muff are the best ones out there, in my humble opinion.
    Muffs are excellent (I have a Russian Big Muff Pi and a Metal Muff w/Top Boost) but really arn't overdrive pedals in the way that the Bad Monkey is.
    Pete24v
    i think everybody has missed a great feature of this pedal.... the mixer out!! you can plug this output direct into a mixer/p.a/pc etc and it has cabinet simulation when the effect is on and off, brilliant! so when your valve amp goes down on a gig the Bad Monkey can save the day with a pretty decent DI'd sound.
    asiankid123
    Ive heard about this pedal, ive heard sumone play it to. to me, this stompbox can sound like an Ac/Dc ryhthm guitar
    Tele Echoes
    "I play rock, thrash, hardcore (Christian)" Let's all thrash to some hardcore Christian music! Muahahahahaha. Seriously though, you earn 10 points for pure comedic genius. As for overdrive. I use the Double Muff, because in the words of Jack Black on cock push-ups, "Yeah, one's all you need." If you actually have a tube amp, this would also be a complete waste of money. Fuzz Face, or Big Muff and/or Double Muff are the best ones out there, in my humble opinion.