Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive

Purchased from: Tommy's Guitar Shop (Everett WA)

It's an amazing overdrive. With the gain at 0, it provides a beautiful clean boost, and tweaking the EQ to your liking on that clean boost can make that extra pop you need at certain parts in a song, or to boost a distortion. By increasing the gain, you hit the zone from 3-5 it's a great blues Drive tone. Good for songs like Machine Gun Man by Zakk Wylde when you cut the bass, and I like the rawness of the highs. Going up from there on the gain knob it turns into a Vintage tone recognizable in many classic rock and metal sounds, ranging from Metallica and Black Sabbath, to Aerosmith and Queen. The one bad thing that I've found that coupled with my Epiphone G400 SG and Marshall 30 watt combo that when you maxed out the Low knob it drowned out all other sounds completely, which is mainly the only downgrade to the tonality.

Just like the other green pedal in this category, it's the best Overdrive you can find, and at an extremely cheap price, unlike the Tube Screamer can be. I considered getting the MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion, but after sound checking against this, I had to choose this, and I haven't regretted it.

It's metal chassis is pretty much indestructible. I trust DigiTech pedals. They have grip on concrete and laminate too.

I got it from a "Box of Boxes" in my local guitar shop, and I was looking for a good Drive pedal to create a solid solo tone. I picked it up after seeing some comparisons to a Tube Screamer, and I haven't been let down. When I first started tinkering with it, I was very impressed by the wide tonal palette that was provided with only 4 knobs. The 4 knob set-up is common to me, since I have 2 other X-Series pedals, and this was no exception and fit in to what I'm used to.

Robbgnarly
    I just bought one for $30 and it is a good boost pedal. Probably one of the only Digitech pedals I would recomend.