Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive

Price paid: C$ 50

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

This pedal is not noisy with humbuckers or single coils. It has a high output volume. This is a good low gain pedal, it is a subtle Tube Screamer type pedal. The secret of this pedal lies in the high/low knobs, it is important to set it right (Strat has high boosted and low back maybe one tick, the opposite for a Les Paul, and same for a Telecaster) that is in my opinion how this pedal gets a bad rep is when people do comparisons with a Tube Screamer but they don't dial in their guitar. But for the money you cannot beat it!

For a Fender Blues to a SRV tone it can't be beat by anything in this price range so happy I stumbled upon it, it does work well with my Blues Driver, OCD, DS-1 and Big Muff. I would definitely buy another if I lost it or it was stolen. I love this peal so much as it is such a good all around Overdrive for me without breaking the bank. I do wish this pedal had a button that you could change from subtle OD to grittier (like the OCD) but its still a great little pedal, can't beat it for the price!

I have done several gigs with it without issue I wouldn't worry about build quality, because it is so essential to my sound I do carry another overdrive, but I am not overly concerned with it the knobs are solid the foot switch is trustworthy, man I just love this pedal!

This pedal is really easy to use with only four knobs its pretty hard to get a bad sound out of this thing if you can dial in your guitars "tone". There is nothing I dislike about this pedal, so worth it you should definitely try it if you are considering, because it is not for everyone, but it sure is for me!

grungelive72
    Would this work like a tubescreamer in terms of making a metal amp tighter and more midrangey?