Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive

Purchased from: Guitar Emporium, Louisville

Overall, it's a great pedal to get the Tube Screamer sound on your board without having to get the real thing. It's an excellent pedal in its on right, and it helps bring out the best of other pedals. It's easy to get the sounds you want, and this thing will hold up to repeated, heavy use. The level, gain, and high and low knobs all obviously modify the tone output when you adjust them, allowing for dialing in exactly the sound you're looking for. Again, if you need an overdrive pedal, seriously consider getting this for your set-up.

This is an excellent copy of the classic Ibanez Tube Screamer. This pedal can produce a little extra oomph, all the way to some pretty heavy distortion tones. Playing with the high and low EQ knobs gets a wide range of tones out of this pedal, letting you get the right kind of overdrive you're needing, whether it's rock, jazz, blues, country, or whatever else you may need to play. I can get really heavy, bassy sounds when I'm playing heavy music, and I can get a nice bright sound when I just need a little bit more push behind a cleanish-tone.

This pedal is very well built, especially for the price point. The die-cast metal frame feels incredibly sturdy, and the pedal itself has a nice heft and solid feeling to it. The rubber pad on the stomp trigger is made of some quality stuff, showing no real signs of wear after I've had it for over six years now. The knobs are of a decent plastic, and they're neither too loose, nor overly-stiff. The LED is very bright, making it easy to tell if you have the effect engaged. The paint job on this also seems to be holding up very well, especially since I bought this used.

I play a variety of musical studies, and this pedal has been incredibly useful in all of them. This pedal is also excellent when paired with other effects. I often combine it with my Big Muff Pi to get some really full sounds when playing stoner and doom metal. It also helps add some warmth to full-on distortion pedals and solid-state distortion channels. This pedal is now a necessity for my board, and it's probably the one I would keep if I could only keep one. If you are looking for an overdrive pedal, I highly recommend this pedal.