Death Metal review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Death Metal

Purchased from: Andertons

I use a range of guitars, at the moment, I've got an Ibanez (don't rememeber what one, but it's a Les Paul copy, and it's sick), plus I also own both a Squier Strat and Telecaster all going through this pedal and a Crybaby way into a Marshall MG100DFX. Basically, this pedal is amazing for extreme forms of metal. I play a lot of early Cradle Of Filth stuff, which I can replicate really well, but you can accuratly create a lot of other bands in quite a wide reach, such as Metallica and Slayer for older bands, through to Fear Factory, The Haunted, and does a good job for bands using less extreme forms of distortion. If this is the case it will sound a bit muddier, but works well still. Remember, this stompbox has a huge amount of bass onboard, so unless you play really old thrash, I wouldn't let the bass go below 3/4.

Well, I've been playing for 3 and a half years, and I play mostly black/death metal, but also play blues and prog every now and then, but this pedal does about 80% of my playing, other then that, the onboard distortion on my amp does the job perfectly. I also have a crybaby, which is perfect if you set it around 2/3's open for tremolo picking, so long as you dont use too much treble, otherwise it gets a bit brittle sounding. The best thing about this pedal is probably the low end of it. I was looking at the Boss Metal Zone and even the denelectro black paisley, but I like playing with a lot of bass when recording stuff, and this is perfect. The only thing I dont like about it is probably that if you leave it on, feeding back, it will squeil like a MF if your guitar isnt that great. Also I personally think the "Death Metal" writing is a bit tacky, so I got a magic marker and drew over it, and now it looks a lot better!

The only things to survive a meteor hitting earth are cochroaches, germs and this pedal! I've dropped it countless times, not a problem, not that there should be seen as its built like a tank! If using a battery supply at home, rememeber to remove your lead from the guitar into the pedal when not playing, even when the distortion is off, because otherwise the pedal is still active. It's worth getting the AC adaptor for sure.

Come on, three tone controls, low mid and high, plus the level. There's no need to get a degree with this stompbox, so is easy enough to create the right tone you want. Just rememeber to ajust the amount of distortion with your guitars volume control, which is somthing I don't rememeber them saying in the manual, but is really common knowledge.