Death Metal review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Death Metal

Purchased from: Music-Stop

I use a BC Rich Warlock Bronze with a Kustom 100 watt amp and usually it's cranked up. Honestly the pedal is pretty noisy when you are not playing, it is kind of a "shh" noise but as soon as you start playing you hear NO noise at all. Effects ALWAYS sound great, it basically just depends on one's opinion and sound choice. I think you can get a great Pantera sound, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, anything like that. All the effects are great sounding in my opinion, no flaws, just jam out and have a good time.

I play a lot of hard rock, metal, and heavy metal, and of course, Death Metal. I have been playing for just about 2 years but I have a lot of experience with guitars. I own an ION electric guitar/amp kit was just cheap to get me started. A 1987 Fender Gemini II Acoustic. And a Peavey Milestone III Bass Guitar. The only thing I wish I would have asked is about the noise in the background, it is not really a problem as long as you are playing, but if you are stopping, say, for a bass or drum solo etc. then depress the pedal to the clean sound so it is not noisy. I would buy it again for sure, although, trying something else would be cool, but I can just try out any pedal I want to in the store. I love the crunchy distortion about it, but I hate the background noise when everything is silent. But that is pretty much it, my favorite is that it is really crunchy and great for metal stuff. I compared to the Boss Metalcore, I chose this because the other one was way more noisy, and it didn't have as good of sound, and also it cost a lot more than this one. I wish it had something to mute out the background noise that is what I hate a lot. I think it is a perfect pedal pretty much. The background noise might just be my amp, but I don't know, I recommend you buy this for sure!

This is a great pedal, very durable, I dropped it on the cement in my garage, and it fell off my amp (it is pretty big and high up) and it is encased in metal. I would for sure use it without a backup on a gig because it has great battery life. Just be sure to unplug your input and output jacks/cords because that will really drain your battery life. Also, be sure to unplug both cords because it could drain both ways.

Great pedal. All you have to do is plug your amp and guitar into the pedal, crank it all right up, set your low/mids/high and start shredding! You don't even need to read the manual before use, but it might help as it does have four suggested settings but you can also play with the knobs a bit to find the setting that you like. The knobs move really easy, not too slow, not too fast, so you can get on the right sound instead of "close" to it.

ironman316
    forgotenthreat wrote: This is an excellent Pedal but i have found one problem. you cannot use it with flange. because of the distortion it causes the flange to make a weird kinda, 80's sci fi UFO sound. but other then that its my favorite pedal in my line up
    maybe try switching the order you hook it up. like guitar > deathmetal > flange > amp. and i like how the whole page is basically reviews. lol. now about the pedal, how do pinch harmonics sound with this beast?
    metal_666_man
    xxtwistedxhopex
    if you wanna play something that takes talent, the tone just flat out sucks
    metal_666_man : if u want a good distortion pedal get the boss metal zone 2 cuz thats one amazing pedal i have and i would never buy anything else for distortion
    c this dude understands tone
    razr_back
    i forgot to add one ting in my review some were up there lol theres so many, wen i use my up100 with it i can barly have the level up on the phaser and the death metal pedal wil pick it up easly, but wen its behind the metal pedal it works like it shou8ld, i see someone also had that prob with there flange lol
    Giant Tool
    dude where did you get it for 39.99, when i got it it cost 49.99, and this place cheaper than other places with most products??
    ddranthony92
    i have the metal master and its good,but this sounds amazing,i think the single pedal i get will be this
    Agent_00Funk
    malmsteenkid wrote: yea if ur relying solely on a pedal for ur distortion then ur obviously tone def, but the pedal is good when ur looking for a boost on the dist u have through ur amp, i do not recommend using any pedal for distortion if its ur only source of distortion.
    You obviously dont know what youre talking about. Alot of amps can have weak distortion compared to what the player is looking for. Therefore youre gonna need a distortion pedal to get what you need.
    ollytodd
    ShimmyShimmy wrote: this pedal blows...if you have a nice amp it will have good built in distortion and there is really no need for a pedal like this. but if you are stuck with a squier starter pack like most of the people posting on here, then it is probably a gift from heaven. You're probably not into metal because it gives pretty nice distortion....and I'm playing a B.C. Rich Warlock..not flashy but not horrible.. lol i thought i had a shitty guitar.. the warlock is a piece, that might be a huge reason you dont like the death metal distortion. its good for at home use but when its mic-ed it sounds a little thin but other than that its worth the money.
    Scarecrow666
    This pedal (in my opinion) sounds very thin, dead, and has too much mid. I don't like the gain, it's like they took 4 gain pedals and hooked them together to make this little beast, fuzzy and overpowering gain, isn't clear sounding and crisp. I would only recommend this if you are in a grindcore band, thrash, and maybe a death metal band if you lean towards a shit-ton of gain. Otherwise for straight up metal, or if you want something that sounds lively, you should look into an amp that has good gain, if you find the amp you like with good distortion, you wonder why the hell people even need these things in the 1st place.
    TDAJGuitarist
    BladeSlinger wrote: ShimmyShimmy wrote: this pedal blows...if you have a nice amp it will have good built in distortion and there is really no need for a pedal like this. but if you are stuck with a squier starter pack like most of the people posting on here, then it is probably a gift from heaven. You're probably not into metal because it gives pretty nice distortion....and I'm playing a B.C. Rich Warlock..not flashy but not horrible..
    BC Rich Warlocks are shit.....Shimmy Shimmy is absoleutly right....I play a Ibanez RG with a 100 Watt Triple Rectifier and 2 Celestion Cabs...The tone is amazing...But I do find that I need a bit of a boost...I looked into this pedal and it is crap...I hated it the second I pluged it in and even if you do adjust the knobs...It never sounds better....If you want a cheep Digi-tech pedal then go with the "Grunge" Pedal...Analog is analog so its not gonna sound as "Real" as the tubes but it really does give you great tones as long as you know how to program it...Which really isnt hard at all. lol