Death Metal review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Death Metal

Purchased from: Mcanns Music

I'm using a weak 10 watt Silvertone guitar amp with a Samick Flying V which has a 3-way pickup selector (I have it on the bridge pickup generally), I also used it on my Ashton beginner bass with my 30w Ashton bass amplifier. I'll start by talking about the sound with my guitar. All I can say is sweet, I usually have the high on max, and the middle and low at about 5, and slightly vary them which surprisingly changes the sound alot. With this setting I can get my V sounding like Metallica (particuarly the songs from Kill Em' All and Ride The Lightning and a little of Master Of Puppets), Pantera (Walk sounds killer on it) and even death metal bands like Arch Enemy (try Nemesis on this baby, it's kick ass), not to mention Rage Against The Machine (Killing in The Name particuarly). Unfortunately though the sound is somewhat limited, and if you try other settings like flipping Low to max it sounds really crap, I mean, it's almost a necessity to turn high to max or atleast higher than the rest, so it does have a wonderful range of distortion sounds but they aren't of extreme quality. But otherwise, I'm in love with this pedal! Now when I used it with my bass I was a little disgusted, the sound was tacky and had way too much gain although with a bit of tweaking I got the perfect sound for the legendary bass solo by the master Cliff Burton himself 'Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)', which I was happy with. Otherwise though, get a real bass distortion pedal.

Like I said, I play allmost every style of metal and this defenitely suits me for now and has improved my ability to play metal alot. I've been playing about guitar for about 6 months seriously now, and bass for a year and a half, this IS my first foot Switch but I am glad I bought it. If it were stolen or lost I'd get really pissed off, but then I'd probly wait a month and buy a good $300 multi-effects pedal. I love it because it suits my needs and helps my playing alot, my favourite feature would be basically, it improves the way I can play, gives me plenty of options, and just adds a whole new experience to my playing. One problem I found with this pedal was that sometimes you don't want gain at 11, even though you can still sort of adjust this with messing around with your amp and stuff, I just wish I had enough cash to buy an all-round effects pedal, oh well, this will do me for now as I am genuinely happy with the pedal. When I was In Mcanns I used 2 other Distortions, one was another DigiTech one, but it didn't have enough grunt for my tastes, the other was a Grunge pedal, I didn't choose this for basically the same reason, this pedal however sounded good basically as it was plugged in, I tried it and then bought it. All I wish it had was it's own gain knob. Overall, very happy.

This is a metal footswitch, literally. Definetely gig without backup, absolutely no problems here. Of course, it's not as if it's invulnerable, so I can't honestly give it a 10 and I have only had it for a month. It's gonna last, don't even worry. I haven't yet encountered any problems with batteries, and don't use an adaptor, I don't know what all the fuss is about battery life, look at all the other pedal reviews, it's the same everywhere.

This pedal has 4 control knobs, level (basically volume), low (ability to pick up low frequencies), middle (ability to pick up middle frequencies) and high (ability to pick up high frequencies). Your an idiot if you can't figure out how to work this thing, no offence if any of you can't, but it's so easy. My first pedal and I knew exactly what to do just by looking at it. I didn't look at the manual, but the DigiTech Product Manual helped me get a good sound out of it, I suggest checking out the four presets they suggest.